Playing Ska Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sauer, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Heelum

Heelum Pianissimo User

Jan 19, 2009
    Sydney Aus.
    And did you notice the circular breathing in the clip?

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Bunbundaisy - Since you are new to TM, here are a couple of tips:
    (1) When you jump into the middle of a thread and change the subject, it is called 'hijacking the thread'. If you have a different topic to discuss, just start a new thread for that topic and make sure the title reflects what you want to discuss rather than something like "I have a question."
    (2) It is very helpful for newcomers to start with a thread in the "Introductions and Greetings" section and to include in that thread some personal information so that we can all get to know you better.
    (3) Otherwise, make sure that the thread that you start is in the proper section so that the moderators do not have to spend time moving it around.

Other than that, welcome to TM. We hope you enjoy your stay here.

Regarding "Trumpeter's Lullaby" - The best way to start is to find a recording of it and listen to it over and over. The key to playing this composition is to remember that it is a Lullaby and needs to be played very smoothly like you are playing it for a baby. Also, the attraction of it is the way that the trumpet blends with and is supported by the orchestra. It is one of the great solos that shows how that blend can create something very beautiful - almost haunting. It is one of my favorite pieces in the world and when I started my comeback after almost 30 years it was the first thing that I played and one of my goals is to play it with an orchestra someday. So, good luck on learning it.

3. trumpet4ska

trumpet4ska New Friend

Dec 13, 2009
    In my years of playing in ska bands, the keys most played are definitely the keys the guitarists are most comfortable writing music in (E, B etc)...which seems to be the harder keys for trumpet...lets just say anything above 4 sharps....

sux

btw...

check out my band the Brunt of it
    BRUNT OF IT-NEW SONGS UP!! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

4. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    try C pitched trumpet

5. trumpet4ska

trumpet4ska New Friend

Dec 13, 2009
    I don't really need a C Pitched Trumpet...
    I'm a starving punk rock horn player, but can play all the "difficult keys" fairly easily. however, I do want to star learning more Balkan Brass...which will require me to get a rotary trumpet!

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    @ Bunbundaisy ... what are you having trouble with ?
    I am going to throw a few guesses out..
    I always believed you should practice things that are more difficult to play then a certain piece you are working on.
    TL has some double tonguing in it ... so hit your Arban book ..if that's where you're having problems.. you might try backing off the tongue a little on it and keep the air flowing ...
    If it's the jumps then hit your Arban book again (broken record) ... air flow...your tongue should be going from Ah" to "hee" when you jump up in the interval..
    Make sure you are in good shape ... if you read a bunch or articles you will find out it's all about air and support...
    Trumpeters Lullaby has a special place for me as my Dad loves it.
    If you can spring for lessons from a pro that's always the best way to go
    good luck