Playing taps for 9-11

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetman67, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    I have just been offered to play Taps for the NJROTC at my high school before we do the 11 laps to walk on the track. I'll be in my ROTC uniform, wearing white gloves, and performing in either my broken King Tempo, or a friends Bach Strad. Afterwards I'll have to jump in First Sgt. Ham's truck with three other cadet's to do a colorguard performance for a couple renewing their vows.
    I love being a colorguard commander, and also play Taps for the whole school, and for all those brave men and women who had lost their lives. It really is an honor to do this.
    The weird thing about all of this, is, today when I had to practice for the part, I played Taps in my crappy china horn! Yet I was hired by the Captain of the Navy, (Now a Senior Naval Science Instructor) So I played Taps for the cadets while going out for the drill team, and they all enjoyed it as well. So I'm sure it'll be fun, yet like all people say:
    It can be the easiest, yet hardest song to play" considering that I always get goose bumps, and maybe a little tear pears out of my eye every time I play it. I guess I'm just proud to be an American.
    The best way to play Taps is to imagine in your head, that you're playing for all the fallen soldiers, the innocent lives taken on 9-11, and all the proud citizens of the United States. Isn't that what it's all about anyway? If you imagine that every time you play, you'll feel much more proud of yourself for doing this, and get a better, and correct feel of why you're playing this.
    Like I said, as I am a junior of high school, I am VERY honored to be playing Taps on 9-11 in my uniform, for all proud citizens of the beautiful United States of America!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Way to go, nice post. I play Taps every now and then for funerals of service folk and even when offered money I turn it down, I consider it an honor to to do it. I always listen to Taps played at Arlington National Cemetery to get the right rythms and such. We tend to do our own interpretations and I try to get the "right way" ingrained in my mind before playing.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Good going! Play it on the Tempo - you don't need the valves at all. I hope you play as well as you want to!

4. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    That's cool! I got to do that one year for Memorial Day services.

5. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    I commend you on your spirit and enthusiasm, Trumpetman67. And, I admire your patriotism. You're a fine young man.

If you would like an opportunity to offer your services and talent on a more frequent basis, I highly recommend that you join an organization that a number of us fellow forum members belong to:

http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/Pages/default.aspx

Best of luck to you tomorrow. :thumbsup:

6. tapsbugler

tapsbugler New Friend

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
    Trumpetman 67
    I'm curious...Why is Taps not capitalized?

Thanks

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    We don't make a big deal here over punctuation and grammar tapsbugler.

But as a side question; Why isn't taps capitalized in your name???

See what I mean?

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    It is good to see a young person willing to use his talent to honor America's heros. Taps and Bugles Across America is what got me back to playing. I now play other music in churches, a community band, sub in a big band, and have played solo performances of the National Anthem at a couple of baseball games. For me nothing works the nerves and pulls the heart strings more than taking the first breath required to sound Taps at a veteran's funeral. Taps is one of the last memories the family will have of the funeral process. We only get one chance to get it right.

Practice often and play it from the heart.

9. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    You are correct xjb906, you do have to play from your heart. tapsbugler, I do apologize for not capitalizing Taps. I should have, considering I believe that Taps is the most well respected "song" known to man. Too bad I can't change the thread, but you are correct. Thank you everyone for being proud of me, I knew this would truly be a heart warming forum.
    I have been also given an email from my grandfather a long time ago for the buglers across America. I lost the email and could never get it back, and unfortunately was too lazy to look it up. Thank you for the web site, and I will look at it later tonight. I'll try to get a video recording of it, but I can't make any promises. I'll be in my new Navy uniform (Tan and black) wearing white gloves, and a colorguard commander aiguillette on my left shoulder. I have a really strong feeling that I'm going to jerk a tear out of my eye during this performance, but I will still hold strong. The goose bumps will definitely be a normal.

10. tapsbugler

tapsbugler New Friend

Mar 27, 2007
    Florida
    LOL

great question..I guess I forgot to put the capital....however, I am sincere about the question (and not trying to be a wise guy) as Taps is not considered a piece of music by the AP Stylebook and not deserving of a capital.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed in many newspaper and online articles you will not see Taps with a capital T. Just curious...

No need to apologize Trumpetman68! Keep playing and thanks for sounding Taps for our veterans!!!

Tapsbugler :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010