Playing taps for 9-11

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetman67, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    No hard feelings! This is just a proud opportunity to do so.
    Thank you everyone!

2. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    Well, I played today, and thought that my performance was outstanding. I enjoyed playing. I never messed up once (in my opinion). Then, I had to hurry over to the Volunteer Fire Department to do a colorguard performance. When I held the American flag, everyone said the pledge, than a couple seconds of silence, then they played "God Bless the USA" when the song got to the main part, everybody started to sing. It sounded so beautiful, that people sang from their heart. I had goose bumps from head to toe, and actually started to tear up a lot. It was truly amazing to see everyone to gather around and just join together, forget their differences for a couple minutes, and sing together and enjoy living in America as one

3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Congrats man! Nice job

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Bravo!

In Germany, on the first anniversary of 9-11, I opened the door of our balcony and played Taps at the time the first plane hit the World Trade Center. It felt like the right thing to do.

The German community where I lived was so cool. They were as shocked and saddened as I was over 9-11 and mourned with me.

Thanks, Trumpetman67!

5. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    Thanks! It was an honor, and I played it on my King Tempo too, with a broken valve, and a missing valve casing lol
    At 8:30 p.m. Eastern US time, I'm going to play Taps outside on my porch one final time for the end of the day

6. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    Just played Taps for the end of the day, remembering 9-11. Hope all the military personnel that lives around my home enjoyed the sound of Taps.

I pray that everyone was safe today, and that no one was hurt on this day in the memories of 2001. Please Lord, keep the members of the TM forum and everyone else in this word safe another day. Please help the families who have lost loved ones on September 11, and keep them safe. Please keep the world well, and thank you for life.
    Amen

7. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Wow I'm not skilled enough yet, but next year ...... Maybe I'll see many places need someone to play Taps.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    It's always an honor to sound Taps, reguardless of what function it's for......Buck:play::oops:

9. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    I just sent in a requesting form to the Buglers Across America, explaining that I'm ready to perform Taps, so that a couple more families can hear the real version of Taps from a real horn, instead of a CD version. When I have my own car, I will drive right up to my grandfathers grave and perform the real Taps, which I believe he deserves after serving and protecting our country (serving in both the Army and Navy). He was given the pre-recorded Taps, which was not the best at all. Almost felt like disrespect. Shouldn't every member on this forum join Buglers Across America that can play Taps? It would be truly amazing if that were to happen

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  10. jztrmpt01

jztrmpt01 Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    Playing Taps at any time is a great honor.

I started playing Taps after my band director recommended me to the local VFW. That was my 7th grade year back in 94-95. I kept 1 shell from each of the services rather than be paid and I wrote whose service and what branch of military, so I would never forget.

I was 12/13 yo when I started, now at 27 I am up aorund 125-130 shells which dosnt include militay holidays. I even included it into my last 2 job interviews that I play Taps locally, and have never been questioned when I leave work to play.

This is a small honor that we as trumpet players should not take lightly.

God Bless the USA and please "Never Forget" those that have taken the ultimate sacrifice.