Playing Taps w/o Using Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK I'm trying to figure out how to play Taps without using valves, and it has me stumped. How are people doing it? That C below the staff still kicks my butt, but there's a note in the middle I need to press 1-2 to get, and that doesn't make any sense because the people on YouTube aren't using valves at all.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I think you're starting in the wrong partial. It should start on second line G, then up to third space C.

G-G-C------
    G-C-E------
    G-C-E---
    G-C-E---
    G-C-E------
    C-E-G------
    E-C-G------
    G-G-C------

Hopefully my silly made up tablature makes some sense! Anyway...it'll be all open.

J.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  3. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    It starts on "G"
    Do not play in public. You do not have enough time on the horn to play this in public.
    Here is a link to the correct method.

U.S. Army Bands

Click on the red speaker icon and listen to it.

You will note that the eighth notes are straight, not doted, in the third and fourth measure. Play it correctly.

Hollywood films do not play taps correctly.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I saw (and heard :-o ) someone do this on bugle at a ceremony a few years ago, in front of a few thousand people. Worst part was, he never jumped up to the correct pitch. The whole call was played one note low. Talk about terrible....I was embarassed even to be in the audience.

5. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Don't worry I'd not play this in public until I had it perfect. There are things you just don't mess with and this is one of them. I just see it as an interesting tune and a way to play something interesting that doesn't use valves.

Thanks all.

6. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    Dude........

Use your ears!

Violin is a "cinch" for you huh?

And you couldn't figure this out?

Your gonna have a real tough time teaching yourself trumpet.

In my not so humble opinion.

Schwab likes this.
  7. dmh737

dmh737 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2007
    North Alabama
    OK quick story!

I was asked by the Pastor of my church to play taps at his father's funeral last saturday. I've played it at several. No big deal, right?

WRONG!

The thing is I just started the BE method. I just sold my trumpet. I just sold my GR. I'm basically tearing myself down & starting over. Right now I'm playing a borrowed Getzen on an old 7C. NOT what I'm used to playing.

So I basically sounded like crap at the time. I tried to get out of it but how do you say no to this? I was quite frankly honored to be asked.

So I get through it. Not my finest hour, but not bad. I didn't crack any notes but the tone was not what I'd have liked. I get complimented like usual (more for pity I think) and then after it's over the funeral director asks me to play for other funerals. Go figure.

If you're asked and CAN do it, I'd say go for it. What's the alternative? A person dedicated their life to the armed forces and OUR protection gets buried to a recorded version. No thank you!

Practice! Practice! Practice, & do your best.

Dave

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  8. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is taps?

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Cruise this site: