Playing Taps w/o Using Valves

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Jan 14, 2008.

1. country4363

country4363 New Friend

Dec 18, 2007
    Jackson,Tn
    I have a key of G soprano bugle that works very well for this.

2. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
  3. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Taps, all open valves. Start with G, C then go up pressing no keys. Just keep trying, you'll figure it out.

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Thanks. That's all I needed.

5. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    NO ONE SHOULD EVER "BEAT THEMSELVES UP" AFTER PERFORMING TAPS!!!
    Far and away too many memorials are played using recorded music...instead of live-breathing human beings.
    Remember that this should always be a tribute of dedication to these folks who has passed this life...who performed their duties to God and Country.

Although I know how important it is to most trumpeters...who take on this task...try sooooooooooooooooo hard to play their best. I think it was Roy Cummings who once told us...that the emotion and stress of attempting to give the very very best and most heart-felt performance can UNDO even the most accomplished trumpet artist during this seemingly EZ and almost too brief thing called "TAPS!"
    Bottom line:
    Remember that practicing in a room is SO DIFFERENT THAN PRACTICING OUT THERE IN THE OPEN AIR...which to me....MAKES IT OF PRIME IMPORTANCE FOR A TRULY BEAUTIFUL PERFORMANCE...TO GRAB THAT HORN...TAKE IT OUT TO SOME SECLUDED FIELD...and JUST PRACTICE.
    It was said after Roy Cummings passing...that although he was truly one of our NW's most gifted trumpet professors...and performers, he would often take that trumpet of his out to a near bye buriel site near the UofW and practice by giving his practice of TAPS directly over the sites of some of these names on the stones that were merely strangers to him...but did indeed serve and give the final and hardest gift of all...which was their very lives while in service to our nation. What a gift given...even in practice.

Playing and practicing the trumpet OUT IN THE OPEN AIR...is of vital importance, plus nothing sounds quite as regal BUT DIFFERENT...is taking that instrument of ours and practicing in as many situations as possible and in as many different settings that can be required of any musician....whether their instrument is a trumpet or a harmonica...or just their human voice.

6. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    Most og the times I have played Taps has been ob Bb trumpet with valves 1&3, starting on D below the staff.

I find this produces a very good tone and mood for a funeral, especially if the player has a big full sound down low.

7. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK I looked at the army site and played it, awfully of course but yeah, I see now how it starts on G, cool.

8. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I sense a DCI alumni or current member. Am I correct ?

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Sorry guys, The military spec horn is in the key of Bb all branches of the service.

No G bugles allowed. Although I own a Getzen Deluxe in G.

10. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Sorry guys, The military spec horn is in the key of Bb all branches of the service.

No G bugles allowed. Although I own a Getzen Deluxe in G.