Playing the high C 200 times

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fadista, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Fadista

Fadista New Friend

Jul 14, 2013
    I just read that Louis Armstrong could play the high C 200 times straight! Is doing this some sort of exercise? Should the repetition be done with lower notes? Thanks!

2. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    Trumpet playing is not all about how high you can play.
    There is tone, intonation, technique, articulation and (what may be the base of your question) endurance.
    Those 200 times could be in 16 notes at 120 bpm. In that case, the feat isn't too difficult.
    In general, you will need a strong and flexible embouchure to play high notes. To play a long time, you need endurance. IF you have those two, play a high C 200 times or more shouldn't be difficult...
    So as to it being an exercise...it could be but this all seems like a waste of practice. The only useful application of something like this is to practice articulation at which point you should do it on lower notes.

3. Fadista

Fadista New Friend

Jul 14, 2013
    Thanks!

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Louis Armstrong also couldn't really play trumpet at the end of his career

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What? Just how close to the end of his career do you mean and what's your point?

6. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I believe if I remember correctly, his embouchure was damaging to the muscles in his face, so near the end of his career he couldn't really play. That or it could be similar to Freddie Hubbard who had, once again if my memory is correct, a very poor warm up and/or overextended himself too many times. (I believe the story I heard was that someone asked Hubbard what his warm-up was, and he picked up the horn and played a G above high C)

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Nevertheless, how is that germane to the OP's question? Seems to me totally unrelated to the subject, so I just want to know how to respond.

Regarding Freddie Hubbard, I heard it directly from him that he just got into somewhat of a friendly trumpet battle with another trumpeter on a gig one night where he was doing a lot of showboating and had not (progressively over a period of time) taken care to prepare his chops for such stress and he just basically abused the muscles. This coincided with a period when, how can I say this graciously, a lot of white powder was being generously consumed.

Nevertheless, this is a topic of a different sort and I hardly see what it has to do with Pops playing a bunch of high Cs in a row and if this is some kind of goal the OP should engage in and how should he go about it, if it is.

8. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's trying to say that you could damage your chops if you try the feat of playing the high C 200 times over and over.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  9. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I think Armstrong did it as part his show. A boatload of high Cs followed by an F

10. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Kehaulani- Ah yes, that sounds familiar. And yes, I was just saying that playing in such a manner can be extremely detrimental.