Playing the high C 200 times

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fadista, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Fadista

Fadista New Friend

Jul 14, 2013
    Your input is much appreciated. I played 5th & 6th grade and then in my later teens played in a community band until I was around 22, being self taught. At 51 and semiretired I'm taking it up again and loving it!

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I saw a hand written letter at the Sherman Jazz Museum from Satchmo to arrange the purchase and delivery of $500 worth of some kind of lip balm... that had to be a metric crapload of carmex in the 50's-60's. You gotta be worried about your chops to buy $500 of lip goo.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    . . . or vulnerable to folk remedies for what ails ya.

4. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Yes it is, a exercise. Repetition strengthens the tongue, it helps in finding the right tongue level for each note, thus supporting the action of the lips. Begin slowly on low notes, very gradually increase the range. Rest at least as must as you play!

When Louis went to Europe, players asked to see the special attachment on his horn that allowed him to play "100 high C's", (not 200) in a row, and then end on high F.

Bill Knevitt's "5 Ways To Build Ultra Endurance On Trumpet", has 52 routines titled "The Louis Armstrong Routine", (part 3 of each Lesson), designed after what Louis could do.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Barring any unusual embouchure troubles, playing a high C 200x and, then, a high F..should not be a big deal at all. It is probably incorrect practice habits, which can easily be restored with the appropriate material. This is a link to an absolutely wonderful new book that has come out: Long overdue book now in print for trumpet - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum Rcih Willey is publishing it and it is simply the 15 Finishing Studies of Concone for High Voice edited for Bb trumpet. It doesn't go even above a high C..but it doesn't need to. Work up ti where you can do 20-30 minutes of these higher Concone studies in a session and you will see how your chops transform. Playing dynamically in the mid range to mid high range in a very musical, legato way will develop the chops you need...endurance..and even extreme high register. Check it out!

As to Louie..I'm not sure exactly what led to his embouchure problems at the very end of his career but, as a jazz player, Louis Armstrong is my musical father. I just played a gig in his backyard yesterday! If you ever get a chance to go to the house/museum..do it! It is quite an amazing and moving experience..the tour of his house is wonderful! louisarmstronghouse.org A truly wonderful person as well as player and entertainer...

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi DaTrump,
    My knowledge of Pops is like most, based on what others have reported.
    The story of Louis is similar to the current lead singer of the rock group Journey in that they both had a terrible abusive beginning but for one reason or another, they made it out and away from their terrible pasts. maybe the secret is that instead of getting bitter over their conditions, they got better.
    As for Louis' lip damage, according to historical reports, Louis would get callouses on his lip just like we get callouses on our feet. Back then, people only went to the physician when it was something really serious. With that said, Louis would cut off the callous just like we would cut callouses from our feet. That would result in him having to take time off from the horn. In addition, there a condition called Satchmo's Syndrome which is a tear/herniation to the orbicularis oris, the big oval shaped muscle which includes the upper and lower lip. Louis suffered a tear/herniation in the 1930's which stopped his trumpet playing for around a year. This condition is the result of playing with improper mechanics.
    Proper warm-ups and NOT playing high without knowing how should be the lesson here. Louis suffered real down-time due to this. Learn from Louis.
    Dr.Mark

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Good post, thanks.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES -- I am actually qualified in a certain sense to give you adequate advice -- (keep doing the long tones, in the staff), keep doing scales and lip slurs, tonguing, and such ---- I AM SO GLAD YOU ARE EXCITED (and as a comebacker of nearly 5 years and age 48 now) -- I just wanted to tell you!!! you too can play high notes!!! ---------now get back in touch with me after 725 days and I can start teaching you high note playing!!!! (((put the time in my friend, think YEARS instead of months))) periodically record yourself, YOU will see improvement ---- NOW HIGH NOTES!!! they will come in a few years or so --- BE PATIENT!!!!! due the time!!!! play and be happy that is the primary goal for the next couple of years!!!!

9. Fadista

Fadista New Friend

Jul 14, 2013
    Thanks for the encouragement KingTrumpet! I'm committing to 725 days!!!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    slow and steady wins the race --- just ask the tortoise!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL