Playing the kazoo with a trumpet embouchure and lip buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 28, 2013.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I was at a vaudeville/jug band type performance, where the band handed out these cheap kazoo's. Instead of humming, I played it like a trumpet with lip buzzing, which actually worked pretty well, kind of like lip buzzing a mouthpiece. I found I could play all kinds of songs on it. I wonder if there are any instruments that are fine tuned for that type of use. As far as I know there are trumpet shaped kazoos and mutes with kazoo type diaphragms. I was thinking maybe a kazoo but designed for lips to go in the cup rather than, around the outside, and a little more sturdy. Maybe it might be fun to practice mouthpiece buzzing with.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Design one with a screw rim, patent it and start selling them. Anything under $50 is a desirable "must haves" for trumpet players. I'll be happy to endorse it if you give me one for free.

3. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    If there's a metal version, count me in. The square, asymmetrical mouthpiece does wonders for my playing...!

4. Hugh Anderson

Hugh Anderson Pianissimo User

Sep 18, 2011
    My daughter brought home a tape of a friend singing and playing recorded on a 4 track. The muted trumpet was really a kazoo. We are working way too hard.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Just design a metal kazoo that can fit a trumpet mouthpiece. Get me five - I'll sell four for you.

6. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Yep, that would work. I turned the toy one around then "sealed" with my hand against my cornet mouthpiece, then partially covered the other end. Louder and easier to play. I bet I could make one out of a trumpet receiver.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Oh oh, I think we are definetly on to something here. Is that good or bad? Best wishes.

8. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Yeah, I am just a drill bit, a resonator, and piece of wood away from having a funky prototype.

9. Donald trumpet

Donald trumpet New Friend

Jul 8, 2017
    Algonquin Illinois
    I can play Trumpet but yet I can't play a kazoo