Playing the Shofar

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Liad Bar-EL, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Thanks to blasticore’s help, I finally found a site that will work for me to display pictures.

To see me blowing the Shofar blown at the Western Wall, go here: (the pass word is "trumpet")

http://public.fotki.com/LiadBarEL/

Liad Bar-EL

2. Kanstul-Krazy

Kanstul-Krazy New Friend

Apr 18, 2004
    York, PA
  3. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    Lon, when I play the Shofar at church, it don't sound nuttin' like 'at.

Thanks for the link!

4. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Really cool site and yes he plays the Shofar very well as a jazz player.

This is a keeper.

I have to say the following in terms of the Scripture reading he made prior to his playing.

When the Shofarot (Shofar in plural form) blew, neither they nor the trumpets blew anything near what Phil Driscoll played but the Priests blew at Jericho to bring the walls down exactly what I blew at the Western Wall.

It is a documented fact that the Western Wall recently has shown an extremely large crack from the top to the bottom and it is feared that the wall will collapse. I will be getting a picture of it as soon as I can obtain a digital camera so as to post it on my site.

I am not saying that I put the crack there. I am saying that by me playing these very same notes, I have made the whole congregation cry, shout for joy, stand in awl and just become mute when they hear these sounds. I can say that I tremble with awl, cry and develop goose bumps all over my body. When I finish, I feel that the sounds have not finished even to this day. They are very much alive. It is written that the sound of the Shofar moves G-d … so, if G-d can get moved by these sounds, then these sounds are very real, very powerful for they reach the heavens therefore they will not die.

FYI, the Shofar of Phil Driscoll is not considered to be Kosher because he stuck a trumpet mouthpiece in it. My Shofar is completely natural and meets the specifications of a Kosher Shofar like the ones blown at Jericho. It has no trumpet mouthpiece in it; yet, I can get 2+ octaves out of it.

Thanks for your post.

Liad Bar-EL

5. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    As they say on Jazz Player Radio 'Gabriel is NOT a woodwind player---playing Gods' instrument'.....

My thought on the video clip is that he's not actually playing that thing. Liad, can a Shofar actually sound like that? The one I played, without a mouthpiece, sounded dark and resonant. I can't imagine getting a brilliant sound out of one........

6. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    My Shofar sounds like a trumpet for sure but very much on the dark side. Now if you want to put a screamer's trumpet mouthpiece on it, then you'll get a brighter sound. Then also, if you want to make a recording, then hire a good studio recording technician so that you can get the best sound possible and video tape it so that you can appear to be on stage in a performance.

From what I heard, the sounds from the Shofar seem to be more like the sounds of his trumpet. A good recording technician can alter any sound that they record as well as dub in any sounds from another musical instrument.

From what I saw of the video and what I heard on the tape did not seem to fit although it could have been the speed of the internet connection; however, I have a 2.8G CPU, 240G HD, 1G RAM with Cable connection which should take most of the speeds available via internet.

I made a recording of my Shofar in a recording studio as well as a recording with my trumpet. The two sounds are very much different in the sign waves. The Shofar waves were very sharp and irregular whereas the trumpet sound waves were very smooth and regular.

Please take note that the wall of a Shofar of that length can be up to 4mm thick and it would be pretty hard to make the sound bright like what I heard on the tape. Also, the inside of the Shofar is covered with nodes so there is no smooth surface whatsoever. This also cuts down on brightness.

This is just my opinion and you can take it for what it is worth.

Liad Bar-EL