Playing the tuba

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 21, 2011.

1. leon_beckenham@hotmail.co

[email protected] New Friend

Nov 18, 2007
    Does anyone know how easy the tuba is to pick up as a trumpet player?

Thx

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Depends. Embouchure is a bit different. Corners of your mouth have to relax a little to keep contact with a larger mouthpiece. I play Tuba Christmas every year and it's fun. One does get a bit light headed after playing tuba for 3 hours though!

3. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    my family all play instruments due to my parents being pro's. my brother is a tuba player and, because theres one in the house, i sometimes have a quick blow on it. not the same at all. i can get a note out of it but your whole facial shape is different. why are you asking this? thinking about swapping or playing trumpet and tuba at the same time?

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It depends on the weight of the tuba and the fitness of the trumpet player.

The real question is "Why would you want to?"

5. DoreRJ15

DoreRJ15 New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    i took lessons on tuba for a semester, it greatly improved my breathing. its a whole new level of air usage. embrochure was bigger, same concepts but instead of part of your lip vibrating its your whole face, or it feels like it anyways.

i randomly pick up the tuba after a long practice session to really relax and warm down.

all in all, its fun

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    ... And some people walk on coals. I'll stick to the trumpet.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Dang, you beat me to that one!:-(

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    In high school I played french horn in concert band and sousphone in marching band. Switching wasn't a problem for me. Of course, I wasn't very good at either.:cool:

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Initially I was trained on ALL the brass horns, and never found one that was ALL that more difficult. Certainly, some embouchure change is required and the larger the horn the more air required, but I do believe training on the larger horns enhances endurance on the smaller ones. While I just sold my tuba, I still retain mellophone (F), tenor trombone and euphonium. Such, I feel, is why I also feel I have also been able to "make do" with any mpc, and just want to optimize comfort with them. Certainly, it may be that I'm not all that great on any, but I'm certainly enjoying playing any I can get my hands on. Can't wait now to get dental restoration and resume playing which I realize will not instantly mature to my prior capability, but I'll give it a go.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I play trumpet and sousaphone semi professionally.