Playing the tuba

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 21, 2011.

1. AndrewL

AndrewL New Friend

Jan 14, 2011
    England
    I used to play trombone and now play cornet. I have no problem playing trombone still but find it difficult to play the cornet afterwards.

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Tuba is impossible for me to get the low notes....
    I have for a completely different respect for Tuba players after trying to play it.

Trom, Eupho, tenor all OK, but Tuba BBb is just not possible for me to get down and dirty.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Tuba is funny .... I loved listening to my friend Larry Fishkind practicing his tuba (he came and stayed with our family when I was a teenager), but don't really notice it a lot outside of Dixieland Jazz, which is what Larry used to play with my cousin (on Banjo). I thought the tuba player in that Brass Band from Vienna sounded great. It can't be easy. That's just a whopping amount of air that's needed.

Turtle

4. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    You have to learn how to play bass clef.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Bass clef, whats that? Doesnt the whole world revolve around me?

6. shazib

shazib Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2009
    California
    I might start learning euphonium T.C. so it's easier to get into honor bands next year. I'll play trumpet at school though.

Tuba would be a bit harder because you have to learn bass clef.

7. AndrewL

AndrewL New Friend

Jan 14, 2011
    England
    If a tuba is in Eb don't you just read bass clef music as if it was treble clef and add three sharps/deduct three flats?

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    "don't really notice it a lot outside of Dixieland Jazz" wrote Turtle…. There is a lot of tuba players in modern jazz. Just one name : the great Howard Johnson. I love that guy and his musical sense…

9. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    I play tuba in my school concert band. Reading bass clef's not a problem for me because I play several instruments that primarily use the bass clef (or both). When playing a BBb, you have to transpose the notes if you're thinking in trumpet mode - if you see a C, you have to play 1+3, instead of open. If you're fine with bass clef, but not too hot on transposing, a CC tuba may be better - if you see a C, you play it open.
    Tuba playing's really helped my breathing, and I don't really have any problem switching between instruments, or with the lower range of the tuba (Pedal notes included)

10. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Correct.