Playing the tuba

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jan 21, 2011.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The tuba I recently sold was a CC and lots of fun, however in HS I played BBb, both tuba and Sousaphone. Pedals on these were great in a lone finale or just a pop conclusive drop.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While the euphonium can play a lot in the treble (G) clef, primarily it is played in the bass clef similar to a tenor trombone. The bass clef isn't a big deal unless you make it so. Alternating line and space from bottom to top of the bass (F) clef is GABCDEFGA, thence on upper ledgers to B in the space and on the line above, a C (middle C to a pianist / organist). I've enjoyed the heck out of my old Conn Artist recording euphonium which coincidentally uses the same mpcs as my King tenor trombone.

3. shazib

shazib Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2009
    California
    I understand that the euphonium is more commonly played in bass clef, so I'm going to learn bass clef too but I would prefer treble.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Too, the Canadian Brass includes a tuba, and they play everything and about anything. Their tuba player has played Nicolai Rimsky Korsakov's Flight of the Bumble Bee which although they rename it the Tuba Bee (or not to be), the performance of such is overwhelmingly impressive.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Too, I prefer treble and suppose it is primarlily due to it usually having the melodys as are familiar. Still, I became familiar with the bass because my Mom played piano and my two older brothers then played Eb mellophone and BBb tuba respectively, which with me on trumpet did make an interesting trio and was terrific IMO when Mom accompanied us on piano and my Dad played drums.

6. shazib

shazib Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2009
    California
    Quick question: When you play a B.C. instrument do you sometimes get confused with treble clef or is it easy to remember?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No problem with the bass clef until the composer inserted an unexpected clef change which initially I've been known to sometimes miss because my eyes wandered away from the music and I yet didn't have the music memorized. Likewise, when a sudden "Va" is placed on the music as then would require the notes to be played in the treble clef.

When I first started playing in 5th grade, WWII was just over and our public school band had not yet acquired a lot of printed music for those songs we were then playing, thus whoever had hand written such often lacked good penmanship and the hectograph copies as were distributed were often smudged. I wasn't the only one then having problems with changes in clef or otherwise.