Playing the upper register on trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mitzidemarco, Nov 12, 2017.

1. mitzidemarco

mitzidemarco New Friend

Apr 4, 2012
    NJ
    Thank you. I appreciate that.

2. mitzidemarco

mitzidemarco New Friend

Apr 4, 2012
    NJ
    Thanks to your comment here, I decide to play a little trumpet the other night. I have never had anyone say that about my horn playing. I don't really think too much when I play, I just play whatever's in my mind or heart or both. I grew up playing the trumpet to Louis Armstrong recordings so, to me, I thought that that is the way you play jazz trumpet. Louis is the reason I took up the trumpet back in 1989. I was 12 years old, the same age Louis started playing, and we studied him during Black History Month and right after we read his story in class, I signed up to play the trumpet. I like other trumpeters too like Al Hirt, King Oliibratover, Clifford Brown, and a few others I can't think of now but my style reflects a little on Louis' playing. The vibrato, the way my figures push the valves, my figures are straight out instead of curled, and I look up when I play high notes. So there are a lot of influences from Satchmo when I play. I do have my own style because, in 1997, a friend of mine told me that I should develop my own style instead of playing like Louis. "The World Already Had A Louis. The World Ain't Never Had Mitzi" he told me. That quote stuck with me forever. But anyway, I started to play again. At first, my lips were burning because I haven't played in 2 months but I guess I will try to get back in the habit. Thank you again for your comment and I am glad you like my playing. :)

3. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That’s great Mitzi - Your comments indicate to me that you really have a good sense on how to approach jazz. Some cats have a ‘natural sense’ about how to play jazz, and I think you are definitely one of them. I hope you get your dental issues sorted out and have many more years of happy jazz playing ahead of you! :-)

mitzidemarco likes this.
  4. mitzidemarco

mitzidemarco New Friend

Apr 4, 2012
    NJ
    Once I get over my fear of the dentist, I will get my teeth sorted. As for the depression, I don't know because I'm not really good at opening up to people face to face and on top of that, I don't trust doctors. Like I said, my sense of jazz came from years of playing along with Louis Armstrong records. When I was in school, my solos would be jazz ones while others' were more what was played at those modern times. My music teacher even had a solo song for me to just improvise to called "Jazz for Satchmo". I was supposed to play it when I graduated from the 9th grade middle school but I didn't go in that day but I never forgotten the title of that tune.

5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good on you Mitzi.. I know several guys around my area who specialize in the traditional jazz genre. Maybe you've heard of Peter Ecklund and/or John Erik-Kelso. (Plays a lot with Vince Giordano's Nighthawks). They are pretty busy freelancing cats around my area in the trad jazz scene. All the very best, Lex

mitzidemarco likes this.
  6. mitzidemarco

mitzidemarco New Friend

Apr 4, 2012
    NJ
    I've just started practicing the tune of "The Glory of Love" the one written by Billy Hill. It's a beautiful love song that I liked when I heard Jimmy Durante sing it. Actually, I've never heard of those cats but I'll look for their music online if there's any. All the best to you as well. :)