Playing trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Sep 23, 2009.

1. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    As some of you probably recall there was a post on here a while back (by Nick D I believe) about an article in ITG that discussed how playing trombone can be beneficial to trumpet players. Well, I acquired one last night. Today I got up and decided to try er out. I played pretty hard on it for about ten minutes then decided to pick up my trumpet and play a few notes. Well, it sounded AWFUL!! I could barely make a note. Now, I had just woken up and it usually takes a few hours for my lips to feel right but still, this was ridiculous. It felt like a tiny stopped up toy or something. For those of you who also play trombone, is this normal? I don't want to do anything that will mess up my chops. Thanks!

Ryan

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Happens to me too. A few minutes of trombone makes my chops get pretty puffy, and the trumpet feels like a coffee straw. So I don't play the trombone. Too bad too, because I actually like playing the euphonium. I suppose if I wanted to suffer through days or weeks of bad trumpet playing until I somehow get used to the switch, maybe I could do it, but it's not worth it to me.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    OK, gotta ask, how do you deal with facial hair?
    (I should add, MOST of the ladies can sit this post out :-) )

I mean I have some trouble w/trumpet MPs but those trombone pieces go all over your face!!???

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    If it bothers you, Gillette is your Savior ROFL

5. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    In the end, I'm sure it comes down to how strong the player's embouchure is on each of the different horns. For me, I've had more luck when I double between tuba and trumpet. However, doubling on trombone/baritone can really do a number on my trumpet chops. But this could be because I have a lot more experience playing tuba than trombone/baritone, etc.

On the other hand, I don't want to discourage anyone from learning the different horns in the brass family. I guess it comes down to how much doubling on the other horn will affect your trumpet playing.

6. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Well to be honest my primary reason for doing this isn't to learn trombone. It's because I've heard it will help your trumpet playing. I do like the trombone and if I can learn to play it decently out of this, then that's a plus. I wasn't able to read the article that ITG ran and couldn't seem to find it anywhere, not even on their website. So I don't know what all the article talked about. I don't know if maybe I overdid it, or if it's normal the first few days to be swollen and puffy. I basically pulled it out of the case and said "I'm gonna play around on this every day because it's supposed to help w. trumpet", I'm sure there's more to it than that and there's certain things (low notes, high notes, lip slurs, etc) that maybe I should be doing and only for a certain amount of time. Can anyone offer advise or summarize the article for me? Thanks.

Ryan

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    IMO if trombone (or any low brass) can help your trumpet playing, this should by forcing you somehow to improve your breathing.

Trpt.-Ch. 2-Doubling Myths

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    When I played a lot of trombone I shaved an inverted V-shaped notch in the center of my mustache and kept the whole thing trimmed pretty short. It became second nature to initially place the mouthpiece low and then slide it up into playing position, to make sure the whiskers were outside the rim. When I played a lot of tuba I didn't worry about it and just placed the rim on top of the facial hair.

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I have no facial hair. I like a clean face.

I play trombone on occasion. Unfortunately, I've never had the problem switching back and forth... Maybe you are thinking too hard about embouchures and screwing things up on the switch? Maybe you are trying to play too loudly on the trumpet after coming off bone?... Maybe... Find a bone player in your area and make sure you're doing things correctly....

Basics and fundamentals. It should not be a huge problem to switch instruments in our brass family. It's good to learn playable doubles. I've even had a gig or two on them. I do understand that as trumpet players our focus should be on trumpet though. Just my two cents.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    James Morrison - is on you tube Welcome to the official James Morrison website... - the dude plays like every brass and is good -- maybe he is an exception -- or a role model depending on your perspective -- it is worth checking him out
    ken