Playing trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rviser, Sep 23, 2009.

1. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    I was just thinking. If anything, do you think it might be beneficial because making a buzz with a trombone mouthpiece is basically the same as free buzzing??

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trombone playing per se, does not improve your trumpet playing. That being said, ANY additional instruments increase our scope and that is beneficial as long as our trumpet practice time does not decrease.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    James Morrison is a very dedicated professional - he has gone totally teetotal I believe to enhance his playing - this man is an exception, and a very wonderful role model (and he is as Aussie as Vegemite too). We Aussies are very proud of him, particularly his work with High School Band programmes. :thumbsup:

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    My first Bass instument was a Bass Trumpet. It felt exactly as you described it. The trumpet mpce felt like I was blowing into a Ball point pen after the Big mpce.

You quickly get used to it, and I suggest swapping every 10 mins or so to start with. Your brain will quickly pick it up. I used valve trombone next, then slide trom. It was easy to swap after a while. Keep with it.

Facial hair has been no issue for me, just trim it away from the top lip. Starting a new beard causes some problems with the goatee for a week or so, then settles down as it gets longer. Beards no problems - Al Hirt.

5. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Cool, I'm going to start playing it a little bit at a time during the day and stop at least 4 hours before my gigs. I'll post back anything I observe in terms of good or bad on my trumpet playing. But I'm confused still, other than Nick's chapter on myths mentioning he gained a 4th on his trumpet range after picking up trombone, it seems like the general opinion is that it will just increase your scope and help you to understand brass better. Are you guys saying the article in ITG was bogus?

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Today I was holding my friend's tuba, and decided to play a couple notes on it. She said I played two octaves higher then your supposed to, but in my opinion, it got my lips nice and lose, and it helped get my air moving, and when i picked up my horn a couple minutes later, my sound was nice and clear. I don't know if its the same as a trombone, but you might get the same effects...............my .02 cents:dontknow:

7. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    On tuba, it's not about playing high, it's about playing low!

Loosen up those embouchures and aim for several ledgers lines below the staff. :D

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I gave up on Tuba, just could not get down there... and searching for air.
    I have a new respect for Tuba players; Very High Respect!!

IMO the Trom did not give me a 4th extra, but it did loosen the embouchure, and made trumpet feel easier. Certainly taught a lot about moving air, and that would help wth range, so I cansee it would help some.
    Cheers

9. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Initially, switching from Trumpet to Trombone was ok, but when I switched BACK to the Trumpet, I'd struggle, because it felt like it sounded wrong!

However, the more I practised my trombone playing, the more I got used to it, and I feel like the muscle memory involved has acclimatised to the idea of changing between two embouchures. I can now teach consecutive Trumpet and Trombone students without needing to allow 15 minutes to get myself going on the other horn. I feel that stressing the idea that you have TWO DIFFERENT embouchures while playing different instruments is important, rather than a compromise sort of thing.

Playing trombone has also helped my use of air and ability to open up my throat, because I needed to concentrate on it while learning.

This being said, however, everyone's different, and what works for some may not work for others!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks for the info -- I have been having more problems with my throat swelling when I play my trumpet than with my lips. I know that I am pinching my throat on soft high notes, but I can't seem to open it.
    I was thinking about trying to learn the trombone for better air support - so maybe I will do that.
    ken