Playing Trumpet after eye surgery?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Oct 12, 2013.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    I know it sounds strange....
    I am having surgery on my right eye on monday. General anaesthetic and a procedure to correct a rather bad case of double vision. Muscles on my right eye will be weakened. The op is in the afternoon and I am being discharged, if all is Ok at about 5pm.

I have a gig at the jazz club the same evening at 8pm where I am supposed to be playing 2 solos.

I mentioned this to the nurse at the pre op and she was horrified... NO you can't possibly..... OK why? will my eye blow out? How long until I CAN play.
    They werent prerpared to give any answers so I thought I would throw it in here and get some thoughts.

James

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Be warned. Eye surgery of this type can incapacitate you for up to four weeks, otherwise you are in danger of the surgery failing and having to do the procedure again. That, at least, is the advice of my eye surgeon who is a brass player as well.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    This has come up in the past on TM ... when is it safe to play the trumpet after various types of surgery. Here's my 2 cents.

1. Playing the trumpet is similar to engaging in a moderate amount of metabolic activity, such as a briskly walking. Is also similar to moderate resistance training, such as exercising with 20-pound weights. YMMV, and certain types of trumpet playing may be more strenuous than these examples.

2. Ask your doctor about playing the trumpet after eye surgery. If he/she can't talk about the trumpet specifically, you might be able to use the examples above as a guide. But my guess is that he/she will likely discourage playing the trumpet for a period of time.

3. Another issue is the fact that you will be under general anesthesia. Your doctor will likely want you to not drive, operate equipment, drink alcohol, smoke, or engage in significant activity for 24 hours after receiving general anesthesia.

Mike

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi RevJames,
    Let me suggest a little saying I got from Dizzy Gillespie.
    "Oops is too late"
    ---
    Desperate to play and angry you can't made you ask this question. You know what you need to do or should say "not do", you just don't like it. In this situation, angry is temporary, foolish can have dire consequences.
    Dr.Mark

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    From damage done in high school football, while in USAF I had surgery done on a muscle controlling left eye. This was done within a day after President Eisenhower had surgery on his, but done by the same Boston eye surgeon and in the same place. Although not then a pilot, I had been on flight status and was grounded for 45 days. In fact I wasn't allowed to perform my other duties as were very eye strenuous for the same time and caught duty as security controller and charge of quarters about 5 time what I normally would have. I was granted leave and took a train home and upon my arrival back on base received overseas assignment. By that time, I was allowed to resume work and was back on flight status after being checked out by the flight surgeon. Coming up now by the end of the year, I'll undergo eye surgery for cataracts in both eyes. Truly, these I expect to put me as a non-player for upwards of 2 months.

6. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    I am having sinus surgery next month and was told to hold off playing for 2 weeks. I would probably do the same with eye surgery.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not to mention the miss read notes for blurred vision during the recovery period!

So no... Don't do it. By the way, were's the gig... and can you give me the directions... I'll keep an eye out for you!;-):cool:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Whimp:bleah:

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Do no harm" is a rule for doctors to follow, and should be one for patients as well. I've gotten constructive criticism (been yelled at) by medical professionals asking "why didn't you come if sooner" and "why didn't you wait before starting in again?"

For that reason, I would advise you not to listen to peers, rather talk to your doctor and give yourself time to heal.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, we've modernized that one a bit... It's now "First, do no 1/[(B/C) + 1]"; Yep, we've become a bit more Evidence-based in this Modern Medical World!