Playing Trumpet after eye surgery?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Oct 12, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You sure that one wasn't asked of you by Jennifer Aniston?:dontknow: I know how it can sometimes be confusing for you... and all.

2. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks for the replies, as always lots of sensible input and common sense replies.

I guess the gig on the same day as the surgery is out then.....
    However, I have a gig on wednesday too which I am committed to BUT - I am only playing the bass guitar which I could (and may indeed) do with my eyes closed as I dont rely on dots for bass.... Fully aware of the 24hr limitations for post general anaesthetic but will still have to go to work the next day as I dont have the luxury of sick pay!

I will ease myself back in gently... thankfully brass banding is not too bad on the back row, I'm guessing potential damage could come from sustaining high notes which could build up pressure in the area round the eyes.

Another factor I hadnt even thought about til I saw the replies on here was my running! I like to run up to 5 miles or more 3 or 4 times a week. Never even considered that this might be a problem so thanks again.

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi revjames,
    You stated:
    "I'm guessing potential damage could come from sustaining high notes which could build up pressure in the area round the eyes."
    -------------------
    You guess!?!
    Don't look for loopholes on a blog site.
    I understand what it is to chomp at the bit but chomping for a while is far better than perminenet damage.
    Remember, we need all the good trumpet players we can get. The damned saxophones are trying to take over the planet!!!
    We need you up and functional at 100%. Listen to your Eye Dr.
    Dr.Mark

4. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    well, surgery on monday, I didnt think it would be such a big deal. In my mind I was going in, a few preliminaries, someone would knock me out, I would wake up with a sore eye and go home, play bass at a jazz gig and work the next day.... In reality I spent ages having preliminary checks and paperwork, had anaesthetic, and then found myself in a post surgical ward. Certainly not up to even going to the gig let alone standing up and playing bass. Had to phone in sick next day too. In my job we dont get sick pay, if I did I would have taken a couple of weeks off.

Anyway, refrained from playing brass all week, but went along to band tonight and played on back row which was fine. What wasnt fine was the bright light, the sight reading and the constant need to look at the conductor.

However, as far as I can tell so far, the operation was a success and I no longer get the double vision.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great news! Thanks for the update.

Mike

6. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Take care of yourself, Rev. I've recovered now from both of my cataract surgery's and have my after surgery specs( just needed astigmatism correction plus a bifocal section for reading). The black dots look much better now:oops:

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Good luck on the surgery on Monday. I'll be pullin for you.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Best wishes from me too.

I'm about to begin the process on Tuesday. My wife just had hers done and now doesn't need glasses at all as they implanted whatever lens she needed. I'm hoping for the same consequence, but I've health issue that my wife didn't have as may be barrier to such procedure.

9. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Revjames,
    Happy to hear you are doing well. Now just come back to the high notes at aREASONABLEpace. No sence in ruining things now.:grouphug:

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I've just returned from my doctor. We discussed the question of trumpet playing after cataract surgery, and by this time, he had researched a bit and told me the following points:
    1) The main thing to be concerned about is inner eye pressure. That normally is measured in (whatever units they are) and is supposed to be not higher than 15.
    2) Sustained raised inner eye pressure (20+) is the main factor in causing glaucoma and blindness world-wide.
    3) Trumpet playing can actually raise inner eye pressure to momentary peaks of up to 40.
    4) After cataract surgery, the new lens embedded in the eye is not yet fully fixed, so increased pressure can change its position or even make it flop out.
    5) So after cataract surgery, take at least two weeks off before resuming playing, because that's the minimum amount of time the eye needs to fully incorporate the new lens. And even after that time, go easy on the screamers.