Playing Trumpet after eye surgery?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Oct 12, 2013.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Just to clear things up, I havent had cataract surgery, in fact the eyeball wasnt opened, I had surgery to correct the double vision that has given me such a lot of trouble in recent years. The surgery involved a muscle weakening procedure where the muscle was disconnected and reattached. I can feel the stitches in my eye which is uncomfortable. Band practice was OK because I'm on back row and didnt play any high notes. However it was a strain looking closely at the music and trying to maintain eye contact with conductor. Bandroom lighting was also uncomfortable and had to wear shades. So I guess I have a long way to go before normal service is resumed. I am playing a gig in church tomorrow night - cafe church with a bit of a jazz theme, playing 4 solos but no screamers, honest!

2. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    A clip of one of tonights numbers... Just a Closer Walk... check it out

I'm the one in the hat and sunglasses.... in case you wondered

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Interesting. Almost a NO feel with the slow march at first.:oops:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nicely steeped in American Tradition:thumbsup:

My only suggestion: Wearing Baggy pants would have made a bit more of a lasting impression... Just a bit mind you.

5. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Ha thanks... dont know about a no feel... it was the last song of the night and I was a bit apprehensive about being able to see to march between the tables... not because of eye surgery but because of the shades!

6. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I know a few women that give me double vision and inner eye pressure :whistle: I don't think surgery will help here..... Heal well Revjames !

7. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I was born with perfect 20/20 vision, and never thought much of it.

Then 2 years ago I detached a retina due to a sports injury, and I had the best retina surgeon in Texas reattach it that January.

Then again in April, because my eyeball was just being recalcitrant.

Then a follow-up procedure in August to remove a scleral buckle - (look it up, it's gross).

It sucked. All of it.

I spent several weeks laying face down and a whole lot of time with an eye-patch, and I came to really appreciate my eyes like never before. Just try to watch a movie or drive to work or read a book with a freakin' patch on. The importance of 2 functional eyeballs cannot be understated.

So my $0.02 is don't do ANYTHING that could possibly jeopardize them, and if you're wearing a patch after the operation, I'd hazard that reading music will be a really tall order.

Regardless, good luck with the procedure and I hope you're back playing as sooner than later.

8. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks for all the replies. 2 weeks since the op and things looking better, back playing with brass band and done a couple of jazz gigs without any bother, just a bit uncomfortable with concentrating on sight reading with brass band as you really have to work hard. Eye tends to water and feel a little tired.

If any one wants to see the sunday night gig - the whole thing was recorded from the back of the venue and put on youtube. Jazzamatazz at Oasis Lounge HD - YouTube

If anyone wonders where the harmonica is coming from, a kid with a plastic toy trumpet sat at the back and blew it swappednow and again. I played bass guitar for some numbers and alternated with the other trumpet player who kindly played keyboards when it was my turn!