Playing Trumpet and Flugelhorn Challenges

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by patkins, Apr 8, 2012.

1. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I have always played trumpet or cornet, but never a flugelhorn. I am thinking of purchasing a flugelhorn and wanted to ask some of you experienced in playing both, what challenges I might be facing? I love the sound of the flugelhorn, I blew a few notes on an inferior one once. The closest bore I came to one was playing a Connstellation 28A, .438. I would appreciate all input because, I know a professional one can add up to quite a bit of money.
    Thanks,

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I could not resist to lay low here. A nice starter horn for a trumpet player is the Getzen Eterna. It has a trumpet like bore 0.460 and has a very nice sound. OK, I have opened my wound, start pouring in the salt!

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I notice you have a 4 valve Getzen Flugelhorn is it the .460 bore? Also what is the difference between a 3 valve and a 4 valve? I am so use to 3 valve. Thanks.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The only design difference is one extra valve. Both the 3 and 4 valve versions are .460. The 4 valve version is heavier (stating the obvious), but I can tell you from personal experiece, the 4 valve version plays in tune with high accuracy. I have heard complaints regarding the Eterna flugelhorn and intonation problems. I have not seen this with the 4 valve version. This flugelhorn give me a fat sound. I like fat! (I know this is not a good thing for a physician to say, but I am talking about sound, not carbohydrates).

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While by no means an expert, to me the flugel is easier. Most of your playing is in the staff or below. While I am sure some do it, screaming flugelhorns seems to be an oxymoron. You also need to work for a fluffy, more full sound, not a sizzle or edge to the tone. The mouthpiece can make a huge difference here. I play a Bach 3CFL which doesn't really deliver the proper sound. I did try a Flip Oats MP and it was fabulous. HUGE, HUGE difference in sound.

Where as I tend to muscle the trumpet, you do just the opposite with the flugel. Back off, don't push it, and definitely don't approach it agressively.

I'm sure you have heard my testamony in other posts, but will reiterate. I have always been a trumpet player. Love the horn. I can hear a trumpet in a cheap radio playing with full orchesta with the Talladega 500 race going on 20 feet away (actually, have never been to the races). No interest in cornets. Never had an interest in flugelhorns. Happened to be at Capitol Music one day and decided, for fun, to try out 6-7 of the flugels they had there. I played all of them and thought-yeap, that is why I don't care for flugels. Like playing a garden hose. Lousy tone, horrible intonation. Picked up the Kanstul 1525 and, (heavens parting here), flash, bang, and it was love at first note. Beautiful sound, buttery valves. Intonation excellent down to an E on the bottom line, and in tune below with the 3rd valve trigger. (Intonation is probably the most difficult problem of playing a flugel). And it was FUN to play. If you have a chance, give one a try. While there are folks who argue X or Y is the best, I don't think I'll ever find anything better than the 1525.

Again, many that have years of experience on them can give you far better dvice. Mine might help so you could see thoughts from someone who has just moved to flugel.

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I have personally found the only trouble is getting low notes to speak at soft volumes due to the design of the instrument. The last musical I did, I had to pick up the horn after it had sat for an hour plus and play an A below the staff at pp...Talk about an interesting time..Otherwise I love playing flugelhorns, they have a great timbre to them and like said above, I find them easier to play on in many circumstances minus playing at soft volumes or when you reach D/E above the staff (maybe its just the ones I've played though).

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have to play both on a consistent basis. I switch back and forth on the same song at times depending on the passage. What worked for me was not using the same size mpc as my trumpet. I use a Stork Vacchiano 1fls which is much larger than my Giardinelli 5S trumpet mpc. I use it on a Jupiter 846. It gives it a very deep and full sound and I don't lose anything switching back and forth. I can't say enough good things about my 846. It's sound is rich, thick and delicious. It is considered an intermediate flugel but I liked it better than both a Stomvi copper bell and Blessing I tried prior to purchase. The Kanstul 1525 is probably, no is the most beautiful flugel I've seen. I haven't had the chance to play one but if it plays as good as it looks, it's a winner.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    My two thumbs up on this, tobylou!
    Like you, I play a much larger mpc on my Jupiter 846RL flugel than on my trumpet: A Curry 1HFLD compared to my 3M. trumpet mpc - and only then it really works to bring out the velvet sound you need for a nice ballad, for example.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Call Bronstein Music at (650) 588-2502 and ask about the "Image" flugel horn. None better for any kind of money which is under $600 bucks. It plays better in tune than the $3500 Kanstul. No s--t!!!

As far as doubling?

Assuming you are doing general business, R & B or jazz/commercial? Then you really probably shouldn't be using a standard flugel horn mouthpiece which is typically WAY TOO deep. You'll lose register control and the endurance will go to hell.

Instead find a cornet mouthpiece of the same shape as your trumpet m/piece and insert in the flugel. if you want you can slice a "V" notch in the bottom of the cup. So you'll have a second cup. The tone on stage will be indistinguishable as the standard flugel horn piece and you'll have three times the endurance.

I wouldn't bore out the throat though. Just put a V notch in it. tampering with the throat and back bore can throw the damn thing way flat upstairs and add too much fuzz to the tone down low.

This advice WORKS folks! It really does.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I tried out the Kanstul 1525 and a few other Flugels .... when my wife heard the Kanstul she asked"how much is that one? ...I told her... she said "Yeah, figures it would have to be that one" ... It's hard for me to justify dropping that kind of cash for what I do. I haven't played Local's suggestion but there sure on some nice sounding horns around in that price range.. check out Trent Austin's Doubler Flugel.
    Something to think about is what you plan on using your flugel for... catch some of Gmondy's clips pretty agressive and technical flugel work and alot in the upper register as well.
    I think intonation across the horn would be one of the things I would definitely be attentive to when picking out a flugel.