Playing Trumpet and Flugelhorn Challenges

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by patkins, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I play Flugel as my main instrument (Brass Band), and get the right FLUGEL mouthpiece for the instrument. Don't try cornet (too small) or trumpet (too shallow) mouthpiece.

With the right one C and D above the stave are about as high as you should ever go (it's a flugel) and the bottom notes should be easy enough.

I also play trumpet in an orchestra, (and cornet elsewhere too) and use a mouthpiece for the instrument, without worrying what I use on the others.

My flugel would cost $4500+.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hello, my name is gmonady... and I'm an oxymoron... and when I do not take a big breath before I play high, just a moron. I find playing high more of a gentle scream, and my audience loves it. For instance on Coltrane's Wiseone... I double the tenor, in the higher tenor range, which tops off at the E above staff. It is haunting beautiful, you really need to hear this to appreciate it. On other tunes, I will take runs even higher during the peak of the improvisational section, because it adds emotion and makes for a unique way to climax a solo. It is my signature technique on flugelhorn, so no one else on TM is permitted to do this, as I have applied for a patent with the US patent office.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure why this is your experiece. My low notes ring through, although I do use my 4th valve combinations for most of the lower register. The peddle tones come through bright and clear on both my large bore Getzen Eterna and my small bore Kanstul 1526.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Steve... take this horn way above the staff, and you will have melted butter.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nahhh... I take it to the B just below the Double high C. Melted butter... Gentle scream... BECAUSE it is a Flugel. it IS a unique sound and adds so much texture to a song, and you are only limited by the inhibition to think outside the box (or bell, a 6 inch bell with both the Getzen Eterna and Kanstul 1526).

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Each to their own then. I don't like my flugels to scream, but then I don't like my trumpets to scream either.

And nevermind about your Getzen and Kanstuls, one day you might get a decent instrument. :cool:

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And that is what makes music and art. I am the impressionist with brass, and you choose to play it in black and white. Both are appreciated pieces of art by their own unique audience. I can paint in black and white by the way, and enjoy this. My question to you is can you paint impressionist works?

I as an artist, along with Freddie Hubbard have made the Getzen an exceptional instrument, and the Kanstul, well I and my trumpet teacher, Claudio Roditi have done a fine arts turn around on that piece of metal as well

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The flugelhorn is technically a problem. The bell flare does not match any of the frequencies being played, the leadpipe is very short and that makes for an instrument that some have problems with.

I think that a flugel is a "must have" and that it is worth spending some time to find one that works for you. I own a Getzen 4 valve too and use the pedal register quite a bit. The fourth valve allows playing without a break to D below pedal Bb (a C# is also possible but you have to pull the 4th valve slide out so far that more useful notes are not in tune). I also played a small bore Couesnon for many years until I was offered a price that I couldn't refuse......

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks rowuk... the Getzen is a truly under rated horn on this forum. It really should not be. While it is classed an entry level horn, pros use it, as do Robin, Mike (TrumpetMD) and I.

I was so distraught when my first valve started failing with flaking of the plating at the valve cap. I had to keep it squeeky clean and well oiled to keep it going... and I said enough is enough. I could not part with a flugel, so waited until I got my new Kanstul (from the input I read here on TM) as what would I do with 2Getzens? My Getzen is now in the shop, and Getzen is sending in a replacement valve, it will be lapped in, and I should have it back in a week. In the meawhile, the back up Kanstul is doing well (but it does not have the fat sound that my Getzen has). I will likely continue to use the Kanstul an ballads when the band goes into the studio to record our new CD, but on the staight ahead tunes, the Getzen will be my choice as this horn can keep up with the energy my rhythm section pumps into songs.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    patkins,
    try the flugels out before you buy --- I got a Yamaha that I bought new back in 1992 ish, and for all practical purposes it is great sounding from the top of staff and down to and below the staff --- but it seriously tops out at the A (first ledger line above staff) ---- and that may be ENOUGH range for everyone, but when I read about the "flugel people" on TM -- it seems as though there flugels "play easy" -- mine takes a lot of air for good sound, it has always seemed hard to play compared to my trumpets.