Playing Trumpet and Flugelhorn Challenges

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by patkins, Apr 8, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Interesting, this has just started to happen on my second valve........ I left the horn in the car on a real hot day and the valve oil cooked away leaving all three valves and the Amado spit keys frozen solid. Half a bottle of valve oil later (I was at a gig and had to get this thing moving again - at home, I would have soaked it over night).

I guess I need to call Getzen.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I forgot about the valves on the Getzen. That was the one thing I wasn't real keen on. I don't always push them down perfectly straight and they would hang up on me .... thought it was just my poor technique

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Can I paint impressionist works? No, probably not, but then I see no need to. I find 'impressionist' playing totally boring. I like to think of that style like the famous quote about bagpipes. ''A gentleman is someone who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't.'' ROFL

I'm the one who hears Wayne Bergeron playing MacArthur park and doesn't ask ''how does he do that'' but asks ''why does he do that''. ;-)

Each to their own. That's why music is so great, something there for everyone.

Oh and having just read your bit about the instruments falling to bits. Get and Eclipse. :cool:

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You really do know me well, Rapier.

Why get an Eclipse, when you can get a Kanstul... which I did... and love.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Fair enough. I guess there will always be those that settle for second best. ROFL

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't beat up on yourself too much for making the Eclipse choice, Rapier. You're too nice a guy to do this. But don't worry, when your second best, you try harder. So just try a little harder this year and you my earn yourself the privlidge of owning a Kanstul!

8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    What downgrade? Don't think so, old boy, a chap has to have standards. Unless he's American, obviously. :lol:

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND YOU FORGOT TO COMPLETE THIS PHRASE:

...a chap has to have standards. Unless he's American, obviously... in which case, the Americans set the standard...

so I will take this as your request to document that Kanstul is American (made in the USA) and therefore IS the standard; thank you so much for being in agreement. I always know you to be a wise and just person.

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I appreciate everyone's input. I've heard basically that for the money a Getzen is a good start. I also so hear that The Kanstul 1525 is an excellent choice, by all American Standards. Not many Eclipse make it to the USA, and when I see their trumpets on sell on eBay they can't fetch half their original price. The same is not true with the Kanstul. I pay attention to how many show uo used and what they sell for. But forums like this give me an even greater edge because my colleagues are speaking fron expeience and fron their heart, which is truly art in language. I know it will be a challenge as I turn to learn a new instrument, but am not afraid. I will keep seeking and keep you posted on any updates. One source not on this site as referenced Lawler as making good flugelhorns and Taylor as making good ones. If anyne has experience with them I would appreciate it. There is a Calicchio Flugelhorn on eBay but it is already close to $2000.00 used. Thanks again, Patkins