Playing trumpet casuing speech impediments?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Aug 10, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Have any of you had difficulty enunciating after playing trumpet? I find that I have to really deliberately speak these days so that I don't sound weird. I find it is the tongue, but probably also the breath control.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    The only speech impediment caused by playing trumpet I experience is that I can't speak while playing.

I've got an idea - all TMers' wifes should learn to play the trumpet (they won't speak at least while playing the trumpet and you'll have who to play duets with) - that will be a great step of the humanity towards family happiness. I should be awarded a bloody Nobel prize for that.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Dunno if that's a typo or a type O. I'd rather it be wiped off first.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    not talking, but yes, whistling

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Only once in the very first few days of owning a trumpet ... but my lips were numb. Obviously, that's not good for you, but it was just the once. Everyone noticed, it was sort of funny, especially after I told them WHY I couldn't speak properly.

Turtle

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    as I've gotten older I've that sometimes I do get tongue tied after a lot of playing. It only last for a few moments so I've never worried about it.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's been a long time ago and a long session but I did notice I could not sing after playing. For nearly an hour my lips were flubba and I couldn't stick my tongue out to indicate my distain at anything of anyone. Well I don't stick my tongue out at such any more and once upon a time I could sing fairly decent and still I'm welcome any time in our church choir (such as it is so small, they're desparate for the men's voices, and the Lord forgives the cracked notes of age).

8. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Yep, I'm with you Smooth. I often sound like I've been drinking the valve oil.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Sometimes I think it helps a little. I definitely support my voice more, my vowels certainly are longer so, maybe not a bad thing?:dontknow:

10. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    I had MAJOR speech impediment issues as a child and they are mostly gone now. I attribute this to trumpet playing--it takes care of my breathing, tongue control and lip strength. One would never know now, unless you spent a lot of time with me, that I ever had those handicaps