Playing trumpet in winter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Dec 20, 2007.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    It's always been the worst time of year for me. My lips chap really bad, and chapstick makes playing worse. In summer, I feel like I can play anything, but this time of year is just hard. Any suggestions from anyone on how to make it easier? Or do I just have to tough it out until it gets warmer?

2. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Make that 2 votes for ChopSaver, it works great. I also find sleeping with a humidifier in the room to be helpful.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The world is a pretty big place, and so is America. Each region has different climates. Where are you, what are your summers and winters like?

4. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    I'm in Southern Virginia. Summers are mild to hot, winters usually pretty darn cold. However, it is not as cold as I've heard places just miles north being. I use ChopSaver, just not when I'm playing. I don't know, ChopSaver is great, but I make sure not to use it in the daytime because it makes my lips slick and sometimes gives a weird feeling in them.
    By the way, it got down to about 25 degrees F here yesterday, but it's 50 today.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    When we heat rooms, the humidity goes way, way down. The Germans air out their rooms everyday for about seven minutes. Why seven? In the seven minutes that heat is leaving, humidity rises, and the moist air can hold more heat, so the net energy loss is equalized, and they get fresh air. If you can't control your room humidity, hydrating from the inside out is the best way to keep lips moist. Drink lots of water. That should help. Good luck!

6. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Thanks Vulgano Brother! I've noticed in the short time I've been on this site that you answer most questions with very good answers. You seem to know a heck of a lot about trumpets. Thanks again for the help!

7. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    Drink lots of water.
    Use the Chopsaver when you can.
    Humidify your home if you can.

Use a plastic MP if you have to play outside in the cold.

Be glad you are not in Alaska.
    The high yesterday was about -6 degrees F.
    The low last night was -20 F.
    And this is in the moderate, south central region. :D

8. mrtrpt

mrtrpt New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    I live in New England so chapped lips are obviously a yearly winter issue. I too had no success with chapstick...until one day I tried the chapstick in the light blue container which says "medicated". I use this stuff throughout the winter and have no negative side effects to my playing (while the regular chapstick "messes" me up). Maybe worth a try. Chopstick is good, but if you loose it you can't just run into CVS and buy another one.... good luck.
    -MR

9. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Thanks everyone for the help. And yea, Alaskan winter would suck for trumpet playing.