Playing trumpet in winter

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazz9, Dec 20, 2007.

1. buccinator

buccinator Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2006
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Hi @all...

my contemporary favourite is ..CARMEX lip balm...very good and smooth, a perfect skin and lip protector !!!

no matter what you have to play........just take some CARMEX balm on your lips,
    and you'll feel comfortable...!!!

Merry X-mas and a happy new year !!!

2. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    I don't have any new tubes on hand but will order some in the next few days.
    Sendme your address in PM and I will send you one to try.

3. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I to hate the winter when it comes to my trumpet playing.My tone and range suffers quite a bit to.The comment on using the humidifier sounds like a great idea,because my lips never get rough and chapped,they basically get dry.Being a plumber by trade I know that steam heat is the worst for removing humidity out of the air.Keeping a pot of water on the radiator releases humidity into the air also.Thank for the tip on the humidifier,will try it out. DON

4. Symphony Man

Symphony Man New Friend

Dec 31, 2007
    You can also check out Burt's Bees! This stuff is great and it leaves a cooling sensation on your lips after you apply it.

Symphony Man

5. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    Light chop saver throughout the day, and a humidifier has worked for me so far. But it doesn't get very cold in Alabama.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I'm in Arizona. We have a good coating of white outside, good snow dump. And I could just barely see the moon/eclipse for a bit through the clouds - very fuzzy, almost obscured.

Earlier today was thunder and lightning and hail.

Should warm up in march, although heavy snowstorms in April are not unknown at all here.

7. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I grew up in Maine, but being in the Navy I've gotten to experiance playing nin winters all over the country. It's never any fun to deal with, but I definately agree with the Burt's bees, and put some on/ wipe it off. If it's too thick it's all over your face, and that's a pain! Plastic MPCs are okay, but I'm about to try a Bob Reeves with a plastic rim - have any of you tried them? I'm hoping to get more of a traditional mouthpiece look and feel with a little more comfort in the weather. Kelly might have some fun colors, but even the more normal ones don't look so good in a military formation! A bunch of the trombone players I work with have had good luck with the Doug Elliot MPs with the lexan rim, so I figure the Reeves might work.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When I was in the army band in Stuttgart, I played a Schilke with a delrin rim. It saved me in the cold!

9. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    As a trumpet player who grew up in Chicago, I undestand. I use Carmex, a lot, even down here in Texas. Works for me, even regular vaseline seems to do the same thing. Just wipe it off pre-playing.

10. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    In Cleveland, it helps to put a small low-rise pyrex casserole dish of distilled water in front of the forced air heating ducts to humidify my practice area. Drinking lots of water is wise, too. Have tried most of the lip grease mentioned in this post, my personal preference is Neutrogena lip balm. It is readily absorbed into the lips, has a pleasant maple-orange scent, and is from a company I trust for skin products.