Playing trumpet left-handed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ComeBackKid, Jan 11, 2010.

1. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Lefty here too. Never considered playing trumpet left-handed. I think most of us just do what we have to do without thinking about it much.

2. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Lots of right handed people do fine playing the french horn...

3. Ironman

Ironman New Friend

Dec 8, 2009
    I'm leftsided. LOL! I kick, write, throw, golf, everything frorm the left. I play the horn right handed as I was taught to. I can, however, switch hands at will and play lefted handed. I have done so a couple times when drunk dancers fell onto the stage and I had to catch the music stand on my right. Kind of freak out the others in the band. They didn't know I was left handed. :-o

I can operate both tuning slides as well. I don't use the pinky hook so that isn't a problem. I think it would be a little easier for a lefty to learn on a horn set up for left hand play but you don't have to go too fast playing Merry Had a Little Lamb so dexterity comes with increasing skill with either hand.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    \

Actually there is. All trumpets that I can remember had the 3rd valve tuning slide left of the main tuning slide (when looking at the horn from the rear). This one doesn't. However, with the 2nd valve slide in the conventional position, it is no more suitable to a lefty than a regular horn.

I've often wondered about this when looking at other instruments and the only thing I can think is that, as on lefty commenter indicated, the brain has enough plasticity to adapt. After all, why is it normal for right handed people to play string instruments with the left hand on the strings and the right one on the bow? It would seem that the better hand should do the more difficult work, but the exact opposite happens. Could never figure that one out :dontknow:

5. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I'm left handed. When I was young, at school, they forced me to write with the right hand. So I used to write that way at school, ... but with the left hand at home. In fact I can do almost anything with both hands. When I learned playing guitar I did like a right handed. The result is that on the guitar I had a very good left hand but a right hand too weak and slow : I'm not a good guitarist. When I play the piano, my left hand is strong but my right hand is a pity. Is this the reason why I like so much the way Horace Parlan plays the blues ? ;-)
    I play also the trumpet as a right handed, and never had any problem with the fingering. More : to play the trumpet (as a right handed) left hand is very important to manage a good control of the position of the horn on the face and of the pressure ; so being left handed is not a handicap. I go on with the trumpet and never thought to change for the french horn !
    As for your grandson, maybe the worse would be to switch now : let him follow his nature. If I had followed mine I'd be now a good guitar player (and never tried the trumpet ? After all, I don't regret ! ) :-D

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm equally competent with both hands, can drive a nail, saw timber, or even wear gloves with either hand perfectly comfortably. ;-)

7. muchan

muchan New Friend

Jul 18, 2009
    Because bows and picking -- tone production and controll -- is indeed more difficult.
    Needs intimate and delicate control of small nuances... Beginner take more attentions to train left hands. And while playing, string player "think" more about controlling left hand side. but right hands do delicate things unconciously controlled.

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Being left-handed is enough for me. Never tried to play trumpet with gloves ! :-D

9. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    I am a lefty as well and played french horn for many years. I use to have no problems going from trumpet to horn with finger speed and dexterity(sp).
    About 5 years ago I had a motocross crash and broke my right wrist into 15 pieces. I couldn't play with my right hand for 1 1/2 years. Even now my right hand fingering is nowhere near what it use to be. As I play cornet mainly now I have been tinkering with the idea of converting a cornet to lefthand to see if it helps.
    The only problem would be that I would feel I was in the wrong pitch, try to stuff my right hand up the bell and miss every second note......

Hmmmm....I feel a new project coming on.

10. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Not to mention that the bell section is getting larger right by the valve cluster and you have no "Blow-Baby-Blow" (pinky ring) to grab. :thumbsup:

Keith Fiala