Playing trumpet left-handed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ComeBackKid, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Ichierzen

Ichierzen Pianissimo User

Sep 22, 2007
    I am also left handed. Occasionally in high school I would play with my left hand, but no one really cares if you do or not lol there are some trumpets/companies that can outfit for a left-handed player on request, and HornTrader currently has a modular Old's Pinto trumpet that could be re-configured for lefty playing, Dillons has a Shuman Angel where you can move the bell to the other side, and with no slide rings or things to move the slide, there's no reason to worry about intonation through slide manipulation anyway! lol

There was a time when I thought to switch to French Horn or Trombone because I prefer the darker sound to the typical high school trumpet sound, then I came to the realization that I basically was playing trombone when I moved my tuning slides to change the pitch, so it's almost like playing two instruments at once, or twelve differently keyed trumpets, whichever lol That's the way I see it anyway

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Hem... I wanted to insert directly the picture, it remains only the link. I'll do better next time ?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    [​IMG]
    Here we are ! You have to tilt your head, sorry !

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Can I turn the laptop? ROFL

6. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
  7. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
  8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    A talented repair tech could reverse the position of the bell and leadpipe assembly. It would be a breeze with the Buescher pictured above. I once soldered a pinky hook and thumb ring on top of the bell for a one-handed lefty player.

The kid should just learn to play normally, or play French horn.

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My son is left-handed. We never tried forcing him to become right-hand, but did experiment, handing him spoons and toys and such. He would either directly grab it with his left or transfer it to his left hand. We let him be.

The mechanics of pushing valves down and letting them come up are nothing compared to writing, for example, and that is where dominance really comes to play, in fine motor control and with the trumpet it comes mostly from our mind and face.