Playing trumpet left-handed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ComeBackKid, Jan 11, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thanks Chuck - you truly are a wizard. ROFL

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    There is a slight difference in that trumpet. The third valve tubing is on the right side of the trumpet. On a standard trumpet it's on the left side to allow the left hand to operate it. That's the only difference, but it's quite unusual.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  4. austinbrian

austinbrian New Friend

Dec 31, 2014
    I am having surgery on my right hand next week (will spare the details for the faint of heart), and it will be out of commission for 2 months, then another month of gradual use. So I googled "playing with left hand." I also tried it out today...I'm finding I can fairly easily replicate fingering with my left hand, albeit a little slower than with my right hand. As others have noted, I cannot move the tuning sides. I'll also have some difficulty even holding up the horn with my right hand, at least for 1-2 months. If I can perhaps find a stand to hold my horn, I can at least stay in practice by fingering with my left hand. I just re-started playing 4 months ago, and don't want to lose momentum (I already had to cancel a gig that was scheduled a few days after the surgery....no more until sometime this summer). Any recommendations?

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Buy an ergobrass rig to support the trumpet ( ERGObrass ), consider having a pinkie ring soldered on the bell of your trumpet, and keep playing.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, if it is difficult for a Leftie to play trumpet right handed - what about all those right-handed French horn players?

7. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I used to be one of those right-handed French horn players. I never noticed a problem at all playing the horn with the left hand. (In fact, the horn professor at my college had a paralyzed right hand. The horn was the only instrument in the orchestra he could play normally, one-handed with the left hand.) Switching back and forth between the trumpet (cup) mouthpiece and the horn (funnel) mouthpiece was WAY more difficult for me than switching between right handed piston valves and left handed rotary valves. Maybe try the flugelhorn or maybe even borrow a French horn while recuperating....