Playing Trumpet -- Makes you Smarter ??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Robert Rowe, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Recent studies have suggested playing a musical instrument can result in a student achieving better / higher grades in other studies, as well. Can this be a result of the discipline necessary to follow a regimented practice schedule, and the aspect of effort equals results?

Robert Rowe

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hi Robert. We've had quite a thread on this one already!

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3164&highlight=conservatory

For what it's worth, I think that discipline is only a small part of the relationship between music and marks (or intelligence, if you will). I believe that a larger part has to do with something in the brain of someone who wishes to play music... they are just "wired different" in some respects.

My purely personal belief is that there is a linkage between the mathematical structure of music and "math" itself which carries over into the other technical subjects (chemistry, physics, etc). The Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto, Canada has quite a portion of their website devoted to this issue and I know it is currently a "hot topic" being used by Arts and Music educators in an effort to stem the errosion of funding for the music programs in schools..... in Canada as well as the US (and probably world-wide for that matter).

Anyway... feel free to check out that referenced thread and then post your thoughts... it's a great topic that should be revived every once-in-a-while.

3. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    I agree with Tootsall, which happens fairly often :D

I am a maths teacher and I have read in research from studies that Maths and Music are the only two disciplines that actively involve both sides of the brain at the same time. You have to be solving a hard maths problem that is making you think or sight reading a difficult new piece of music or similar according to the study.

But they definitely found that people who do Maths or Music in this way develop links on both sides of the brain which helps them in other areas.

"Mathemata" interestingly used to mean the study of music, astronomy and philosophy.

I think of Maths and Music as physical exercise for the brain. They are also probably the two most widely used languages in the world as well. they have all sorts of similarities and I love both subjects! :D

MM

4. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    Thanx, Ed, for the referencing of the previous topic posting.

And, also, music matters, for the correlations you have observed with mathematics and music. I had learned long ago that I had an unusual aptitude for math; although, I choose not to stay in a related career-field, I did work in an engineering job for a while, and did quite well. Now, I'm beginning to see the "link".

Robert Rowe

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Q. Does music actually seem to help raise people's I. Q.?

A. There have been many different studies, and probably a hundred different ways to measure intelligence. We know certain music brings us to greater attentiveness, allowing for better focus and concentration. Studies show that playing music early in life helps build the neural pathways that allow language, memory, and spatial development to take place. We know that stimulating linguistic rhymes, dances, movement, and play in the early years are essential to the foundation of bringing the emotions, mind, and body together. Music can be effective in study and assist in concentration. A popular study into the study showed students who listened to Mozart prior to testing scored higher marks in an intelligence test, and was published in Nature Magazine in 1993. The study by Rauscher, Shaw and Ky, is entitled " Music and Spatial Task Performance."
    (See The Mozart Effect, pages 28, 303, 305-306.)

http://www.mozarteffect.com/learn/read.html

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    It made Wilmer.......Wise.
    Sorry. This is the kind of stuff I have had to put up with since childhood. :bleah: