Playing trumpet sedentary?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Jan 15, 2011.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I just read an article in the NYT that says just sitting and watching TV is bad for your health weather you get an hour of excercise in a week or not.

What I am wondering is playing trumpet considered being sedentary? On one had it seems like it takes a fair amount of physical exertion to play the thing, but then again I have seen some ripe old players that were significantly too healthy, but then again that could be the fifths.

What do you think playing trumpet sedentary or not. I guess if I do it standing then it isn't.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you looking for an excuse to be a slug and to not exercise? IMO playing trumpet is fairly sedentary, but on top of that, I always play better when I'm working out regularly with a regimen of resistance training and cardio on alternating days, so why not just get up off the couch and work out?

3. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    No not really, but the article said that even if you work out regularly, the sedentary time is still bad for you. I don't watch TV as it is, and work out somewhat regularly, swimming, aerobics, hiking, dancing, etc.. But, I do work at a computer so not much I can do about that.

Maybe I will just have to play standing and with my feet moving :oops:

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Could you link me to the article? Your first post talks about an hour of exercise in a week. Sometimes I'm getting as much as 2 hours a day 5 days week, so that's considerably more than an hour. I too have a sedentary job working at a desk behind a computer, but I do what I can to make up for that. My hobby playing drums as my second instrument certainly helps too. :D

5. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA

OK -- let this little short fat guy weigh in on this issue. No doubt at 5'5" and 210 lbs and at 45 soon to be 46 yrs old --- I know -- I am overweight.
    I practice about 3 hours a day, and I sit down for about 2 of that. After a long days work at my local highway department -- I am just too exhausted to do a 3 hr practice only standing.
    I originally dropped 25 lbs and I've kept 15 lbs off since my comeback 25 months ago --but I need to do lots of work to lose another 30 lbs -
    I just want to say that whether I am sitting down for 2/3 of my practice, that playing the trumpet has definitely increased my lung capacity, and breathing, and overall has positively affected my mental alertness, and confidence. Some of these are the same benefits as a regular exercise regimen (breathing, confidence, mental alertness)
    I am not making excuse for not exercising the 3-30 thing, 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes each time.---

I am just saying that I think playing the trumpet (or any wind instrument) is definitely better than watching tv. in my opinion, anyhow.

7. stricd

stricd New Friend

Oct 19, 2010
    I definitely would not lump trumpet playing into the same category as staring at a TV or computer screen (which is specifically what was studied). It is more like prolonged isometric exercise involving postural muscles, intercostals, abdominal muscles, etc. I imagine that most of us incur bigger health risks than playing our horns

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think the point of the story is that sitting in front of a computer all day and then going home and sitting in front of computer all evening isn't good for you.

Trumpet playing, while different than going to they gym, probably doesn't qualify for their definion of "sedentary".

9. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    I go to the gym 3 times/week and still usually break a sweat when I'm practicing- am I doing something wrong? I do play standing, but I'm not up to an hour yet.

10. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I tried standing and keeping time with my feet today, I broke a sweat too.