Playing trumpet Tabs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by J4ck M, Jan 31, 2009.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    That was a joke:-)
    Wilmer

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    .........but on the other hand, trumpet players read MUSIC.
    Wilmer

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Wilmer,
    I was reading your bio and wow, you've touched on decades of jazz and different forms of it. Something you may be able to help me with. I practice sight reading just about everyday and still suck at it. Now don't get me wrong, I'm as good or better at it than any one around me (some which include professors). But I still think I suck. I can read but I can't intrpret at the same time. How do I read AND squeeze the feeling out of the music at the same time.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Yeah, me too????

5. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Hi all. This is my first post. I've been enjoying reading through the threads for a while. There is a lot of very useful information here. I wish the internet was around forty years ago when I studied music. But back then, tab hadn't even been invented yet!

I played trumpet, baritone horn, and guitar for several years through elementary and high school but dropped them all to raise a family. I picked up the guitar again when my daughter gave me on as a gift about two years ago, and I started playing the baritone horn again last year. I'm having a real blast.

I just purchased a used Holton Model 29 cornet. The lacquer was mostly gone so I removed the rest and I'm sending it to the shop tomorrow for new water key springs, corks, and felts. Other than that, the horn is in remarkably good condition for a 1952 vintage horn. The valves look and play like new and the horn has only a couple of small dings.

Back to the subject. Although I read music well I sometimes use tab when playing guitar because a six line staff representing each guitar string makes sense for a polyphonic instrument like guitar. And the guitar tabs I use are in .pdf format with standard notation included so they actually help with reading skills all over the neck. Even so, IMO, tab is the musical equivalent of color-by-number.

I've never heard of trumpet tabs until this thread. I checked out the trumpet tab linked above and I have to say that, to me, trumpet tab appears to be more difficult to read than standard notation. Tab just doesn't seem to make sense for trumpet like it does for guitar. Single note lines are easier to read in standard notation than all those letters and dashes with no representation for meter, rhythm, or dynamics.

There is no substitute for standard notation because ALL elements of music are represented in one concise, standardized format. Learning to read music is an indispensable skill. It can be applied to any instrument and read just like any other language. Pick up a copy of Arban's Method and learn to read. It isn't that difficult. It just takes a little dedication and daily practice.

6. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Looking again at that tab, it seems the lower case letters represent lower register and upper case high register. Does that make sense? Just write the notes out on a staff using that formula and see if it sounds like the tune you want to play.

7. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

8. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Q - Why are so many guitarists jokes one liners?
    A - So the rest of the band can understand them.
    :D

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    1. Thanks, Wilmer, for making me laugh. Being both a trumpet and a guitar player, which I guess is like having multiple personalities, I have to make sure which one is which so I don't mistakenly ask myself something I haven't the foggiest idea about: the question is undoubtedly more confusing than the answer.

2. As if that isn't enough (and it certainly is), trying to interpret that TAB stuff has hurts my brain. But wait! Now, I don't understand.
    veery (eerie)

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I played guitar for 3 years before I picked up the trumpet. Looking at that "trumpet tab" it's just a horrible atrocity scribbled out by someone who had no idea what they were doing. You're better to figure out the song by ear. It'll train your ear and you won't have to deal with that crap.

If you can't hear it, sing along with the part you want to figure out for a while. All that being said, why bother learning Muse songs on your trumpet? yeuch.

It's also been rated one star.