Playing trumpet Tabs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by J4ck M, Jan 31, 2009.

1. J4ck M

J4ck M New Friend

Jan 31, 2009
    Yeh, reading through the comments I guess trumpet tabs are a bit pointless. Why they didn't just write it out normally I don't know, but I guess I'm just going to have to train my ear. Thanks for all your help!

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

sometimes rock/pop/ska/etc. rhythms are hard to notate with normal notation, but are easy enough to hear...
    thus we have the tabular system.

3. Zeta

Zeta New Friend

Apr 8, 2010
    er, perhaps you should listen to the song before you talk, because there's actually a trumpet solo in it.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    They are pills that you take to clean your dentures while playing! :thumbsup:

Tabs are a form of notation not really applicable to the trumpet. (otherwise you would only have 3 lines representing the valves and a number representing the partial to be played.

They really became part of the young generation playing Guitar Hero though

5. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    I really hope some day they bring out "Trumpet Hero". :play:

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    ;-)
    I already have the tee shirt.

7. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    As I see it from the standpoint of a trumpet player who also plays guitar, why would any trumpet player need or want to use tab in the first place?

On guitar tab represents music from a five line staff on six lines representing six guitar strings. It gives the fingering and fret position for each string in place of notes. On trumpet how does tab even work? And why would anyone need help with only seven fingering combinations that repeat across several registers? Does trumpet tab indicate register along with fingering? What about false fingerings?

On guitar tab may be easier for some of those who don't read music but trumpet tab sounds like it would be more difficult than simply learning to read music.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi J4ck,
    I've seen chords on sheet music which are played as a arppegio but I've never heard of trumpet tabs. This is new to me. There are "tab" music for guitar. Are you trying to play guitar music with a trumpet?

9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Its essentially the notes written out w/o notated rhythm.

10. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    In Germany there are brass bands (of raw recruits) not beeing capable of reading music who memorize tunes by just writing down the fingerings only.
    Seems to in a way be similar to guitar tabs.

:stars: