Playing Trumpet with upper denture - urgent advice needed!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Littlejg, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Littlejg

Littlejg Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2011
    UK
    I've been playing trumpet for over 50 years half that time with a permanent fixed upper bridge. Now it's life is approaching the end. Is it possible to play with a FULL (removable) upper denture? Doesn't the pressure on the gum shield affect the upper embouchure muscles? Implants are only an option if I win the Lottery! Any comments, help or advice would be great (hoping for good news.....but!)...........jg:-(

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    It is possible, I believe Chet baker and woody shaw both did it. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the story. I can't imagine playing with a removable denture being easy, but it seems to be possible.

3. Littlejg

Littlejg Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2011
    UK
    Yes, the problem I will have is when all upper roots have gone there isn't anything to to support or link to a full denture. Most of my gigs these days are with a pro 18pc. big band, a lot of them have part upper dentures without problems. I know Chet Baker and others had major dental work and had to rebuild their chops, but I don't know if it was a part or full upper denture. I'm hoping for contact with some brass players who have experienced this problem and overcome it. Thanks for your interest musicalmason...........jg

4. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I have been playing with dentures for over 40 years
    No problems at all.Need to have them adjusted every third year though.

5. Littlejg

Littlejg Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2011
    UK

Hi, thanks for replying with your helpful comment, glad to hear that you have no dental playing problems, but do you have any roots left in your upper jaw at all?........jg

6. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    Check out Wilmer Wise on you tube.

7. Littlejg

Littlejg Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2011
    UK

Many thanks for your advice, I will do that..........jg

8. And3

And3 Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2013
    East Sussex, UK
    Hi Littlejg, as a trumpet playing dentist I have a few hopefully helpful pieces of advice for you.
    1. Don't worry. As you have heard already you are not alone and there are many brass players who wear partial and full dentures. It is possible to accommodate to the new situation and still play to a high level. The fist lead player I played with was still a powerful player aged 86 and wearing full upper and lower dentures.
    2. Make sure that your dentist has good study models of your existing teeth, upper and lower, and a record of your bite that can be transferred to a semi adjustable articulation. This is what is called a Facebow record. This information will give your dentist and more importantly the denture technician the information necessary to position the denture teeth in the same position as your existing teeth. This is very important if you want your embouchure to stay the same.
    3. You will have an immediate replacement denture made, ie the denture will be made before your teeth are extracted so that it is ready to fit at the extraction appointment. This denture is temporary and will only last you about 6 six months. Over the first six months post extraction the shape of you jawbone and gums at the extraction site will change to the extent that the denture will not fit properly. Some people may be able to manage for longer or get by with a reline of this first denture, but I would suggest that as a brass player fit is everything if you want to minimise movement of the denture.
    4. When it is time to make this new denture a couple of design features may help you as a brass player such as a thinner palate made of metal (cobalt chrome), and a properly extended periphery of the upper denture going right up into the sulcus space all the way round.
    5. You could also have a special denture made just for playing built up more in the region of the back teeth which allows you to bite and clamp the upper denture and lower teeth together still leaving front teeth open for the passage of air. This is a very effective way of making sure that the upper denture cannot be unseated whilst playing. This will avoid having to use fixative which is just horrible.

I hope some of this helps and good luck, Andy

9. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    I have no roots ether upper or under jaws,Last year I got new dentures made of nylon.
    some adjusting,and thei work great

10. Littlejg

Littlejg Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for your reply, looking at your horn stash, you must have one hell of a blowing life!......Best wishes......jg