"Playing under the notes" while double-tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Apr 30, 2010.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    During my lesson tonight, going through Clarke's 2, slured and single tongued - the sound was fine, but double-tongued, it sounded horrible. My teacher said I was "playing under the notes" I could not identify it as such, it just sounded lousy. This for notes below C under the staff, or maybe below B, but you get the idea, at the low end F#, G, G#, A . . .

What's the cause of that . . . He seemed to think it was "support," but I'm not so sure. Any anyway, I guess his cure is for me to just work it . . . I'm wondering if I should work it with a tuner, or just listen, it's bad enough that I can certainly hear it without a tuner . . .

Is this a common problem?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The tongue is working too hard. You are beating up the TOOOH KOOOH. The art of tonguing is to get a decisive attack with as little tongue motion as possible. This is most easily practiced at soft volume levels. Thousands of repeats are key to success.

3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks Rowuk: This seems like something new, we'll see how it goes over this week's routine as he's got me going through Clarke's 2 slur twice, single-tongue twice, and double tongue (each note) twice . . .

4. tipo mastr

tipo mastr New Friend

Jun 6, 2009
    As with nearly every other issue with trumpet playing, GO SLOWLY. you tongue will figure out how to get a clear attack, even with K tongue attacks. just spend your double tonguing practice as slow as you need to get a clear sound for every attack and you'll see what i mean after about a week or so.

i feel like with many issues of trumpet players, the culprit is moving too fast even though the concept has not yet been mastered.