Playing up an 8ve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Fair point.

I do only play from written music and cannot play without it. But then I prefer listening to Alison Balsom or Wynton Marsalis playing a classical piece, than Maynard Ferguson or Doc Severinsen screaming away on some improv. That's just a noise to me. :dontknow:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Good points. Another way to do it would be to take it up a half step at a time. This would be more "real worldish". It's always interesting when the singer decides to modulate and you've not done that before! :shock::-oROFL

3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Did a little improve on a piece this weekend with the big band. Had to. I couldn't read all that was on the page.ROFL Went good and the guys had good things to say.

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I think I saw a youtube interview of Maynard saying a half step at a time. I think there are songs that have suitable ranges to be taken up an octave. Like if they don't go above an F in the first place, most the time I have to take songs down an octave though.:oops:

tobylou8 likes this.
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What an honor to be compared to the "Boss".

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    NOT a problem -- there are all different types of us trumpet players here -- some for recreation, some for fun, some "very" serious, some big band, some concert band, some classical ---some jazz, etc. ---- some "multipurpose" players who want to do it all -----BUT the important thing is for each individual to find their niche in the music world and then EXPLOIT that niche. So if you are Classical, and that is YOUR PLACE, then be the BEST CLASSICAL trumpet player you can be --- and EXPLOIT that GENRE to the fullest extent of your capabilities. THAT IS WHAT IS SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    The soongs on the website that I posted are are real low range songs and they are so simple I would not be afraid to sight read them in front others, so I thought that they would be a great starting point for doing what Maynard suggested. If you start up only a have step on these, it would still seem not a big deal but I guess the mental practice is worth it, too.

BrotherBACH

8. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    I hate to say it but why avoid the TRUTH? Whenever we hear of a trumpet player who "hates' Maynard" or the other great upper register trumpet players???

It is invariably someone who couldn't play a High C to save his life.

I'd rather have an ugly truth as opposed to a comfortable delusion.

And by the way: you'll generally find that those that don't want to play the lead book have register and volume production problems. ie not a big sound. Do not be shy about bringing these truths to their attention. Smash their egos with it. It's what they need to receive in order to progress. You can't help them otherwise.

rowuk likes this.
  9. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Nope.
    Did you know that the "Dubba" register sounds the same as the "single high" register to non-brass players?

The overtones are quite similar. I like Maynard's approach and what he brought to the table, but there are many many more players out there that I'd rather listen to. To say that he sounds terrible, etc. is wrong IMO, but I don't particularly like screaming playing.
    But I'm mostly a tone guy, who plays either in orchestras or rock bands, what do I know :shhh:

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Well with all due respect I think you misunderstand. Let's take this comment of yours:

Did you know that the "Dubba" register sounds the same as the "single high" register to non-brass players

Fair enough but these are not the kind of people who would frequent a trumpet forum. Like the one we have here. My words are intended for trumpet players only. And with that my comment is 100% accurate. Restated: When finding someone who hates Maynard or other great lead players?

It is invariably someone who couldn't play a High C to save his life.

Sour grapes in other words.

But lest one think I'm picking on weak trumpet players only? No. I'm just as harsh to trombonists. They hate me too. Because I tell them how much easier their instrument is than the trumpet. True fighting words if you ask me. You can see the fur fly...So they reply with their own set of spin, blame switching and obfuscation. Claiming I:

"Can't connect my lower register (on the trombone) to the upper".

"Your playing must sound like a kazoo"

"Your upper register must suck".

And all false. No I'm not a total pro on the t-bone but am the guy at least three local colleges call first for subs in their trombone section in the jazz big band. Not a bad resume for my second instrument.

So the truth may hurt but is no less valuable. Thus:

Trombonists have a much easier time than trumpet players. Their population (at times) composed almost exclusively of former trumpet players. Boy that one makes them just BURN. As does

"Trombonists are from the scrap heap of weak trumpet players... Oh my gosh!...

And of course (with the qualifier; members of a trumpet forum)

Those who hate Maynard?

= Folks who couldn't play a fat, High C to save their lives.

Universal truths folks. I make no apologies.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    tobylou8 likes this.