Playing up an 8ve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 18, 2011.

1. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    Hey! I’ve been playing those songs from the Arbans Book 8va since I was a child; somewhere I had heard that Bill Chase did that. I try to play them being very aware of tone, style, interpretation, etc. I love the intermediate song books! I play selections from them at marked tempos to work on tone, counting, breath control, style, etc. I also play them in multiple keys; up a whole step, and then different intervals: third, minor third, fifth, etc. I am not sure why, but this does wonders for my sight reading ability. I never would have guessed that doing this level of transposition would help my sight reading, and I am still not completely convinced that it has – BUT! – ever since I started doing that, my sight reading ability has increased a whole bunch!

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WOW -- you wouldn't believe how much sense this makes. My high school band teacher was Trombonist (a mighty proficient one at that) - but mostly into classical music. That teacher would "discourage" us students on playing any note above High C -- claiming that we didn't need anything higher than that to be a good trumpet player.((((and you hear a lot of that advice going on right here on TM)))) --- there were a couple of us "guys" who would try and practice and play higher notes --- to the teacher's dismay, and corrective advice - "Don't ruin your chops, your sound, and don't play up there" --------for me I aquiesced to that "thought" for many years. NOW - I am a comebacker -- trying to crack the Double High C barrier with accuracy, sound, and playability -- I can see the D and E above that are possible. So 25+ years later -- I see what determined practice can yield. AND I wish that years ago I was NOT so gullable to NOT try to get those high notes--- or practice such that I could reach that realm. SO - YEAH -- all those YUCK YUCKS who don't like HIGH notes above high C -- should go play a trombone, or a clarinet or something --- and get into one of those forums --- YEAH, and those yuck, yuck classical guys should learn to appreciate that "classical" is not the only type of music -- YEAH, that's it -- US HIGH note afficienados -- we are the KING's of the trumpet --- AND that causes angst among those WHO NEVER TRIED TO ACHIEVE THOSE NOTES THAT THEY WERE TOLD THEY SHOULD NEVER PLAY --- hey you yuck yucks -- the range above High C is available if YOU CHOOSE TO PURSUE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    A trumpet player who can an octave and more above the high ‘C’ can be compared to the F-16 pilot alongside the driver of a single engine Cessna. Or something like that!

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I was told in high school (by a fine trombonist/director) that anything above high C was not musical (read classical). Jazz wasn't music to him so we didn't have a jazz band! :-(

5. Bogieboy

Bogieboy Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2011
    Very good advice!!! An organist i play with regularly does that on most hymns... Each verse. Is a half step from the last... Another good one to learn is transposing from C music on the fly... Its a great skill to have for a church style player like myself, just grab a hymnal out o the bench and play... Thats if youre like menand cant afford a c trumpet...LOL

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think all trombonists who are directors and band teachers must go to the same school --- they all learn the same thing --- and all give the same response --"dont' go above high C, don't ruin your chops, that's not music", etc. --------ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I dunno. I liked J.J. Johnson and Curtis Fuller because they played a trombone like a trumpet, at least to my ears. Great articulation and high register.

BrotherBACH

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    "I classify all uncorrected errors as "microbes" which, although invisible to the naked eye, are deadly - even more deadly than an animal as big as an elephant. One can run away or hide from or dodge an elephant, but not so with a microbe. These minute organisms multiply rapidly and in large number if not immediately driven out of the system. " - Herbert L. Clarke

9. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

I think 8va is up, whereas 8ve is down . . .

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    8vb is down. 8vb