Playing up an 8ve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Dec 18, 2011.

1. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I really like this. Taking the tune up a minor third will force one to play in keys not ordinarily played in and surely contribute to ear training. In a workshop, one of James Morrison's tips was to put down a different combination of valves or a single valve during his daily practice and start the tune on that note. When fluent, change the valve or combination. Second the motion on stressing out on the high notes. At my age they aren't there anymore. Consider what Chet B did with a couple octaves.

2. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I know a lot out there will scoff, but I still build range strength by practicing charts up the octave on my bigger mouthpieces (Warburton 1MD [about to double G/A], and my Bach 1D)...That way I have to work harder for the notes- then when I pop my Lead piece in its like a shot in the arm! Bang!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I know some people will laugh at me also -- but I take a song, and slow it way down -- and play it up an octave, or up where it is comfortable --- and play that like 5-10 times slower than the song calls for -- then gradually speed it up, and/or take it up higher, as I am able to.

4. gsmonks

gsmonks Piano User

8vb? Never heard of it. My piano music is always marked 8va (which stands for "ottava", which means "at the octave") in the right hand, when written an octave lower than played, and 8ve in the left hand, which means "play an octave lower".

Which is technically incorrect because 8va and 8ve mean the same thing. 8va is Italian and stands for "ottava" (at the octave), whilst 8ve is French and stands for "a l'octave" (at the octave).

Now that I think about it, I think it depends upon context, plus there is sometimes an arrow above or below the 8va or 8ve, to tell you which "at the octave" is desired, which could be up or down.

I just looked up 8vb on-line because it's not in any of my old Harmony books, and it stands for "ottava bassa", which makes perfect sense. Must be an addition after the 1970's, when I was in university, because it's not in any of my textbooks, which cover all the French, Italian, German and English terms.

We live and learn.

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Hey folks, here is another website that provides progressive exercises with songs just like suggested by others in this thread. For example, it starts with a song to work on the pure musical aspects of a piece, then in progressive treatments, the piece is gradually taken up. And, of course, that means working in different keys. This website looks fantastic. Look at the samples.

CUR I

BrotherBACH

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    8vb is to lower brass what 8va is to trumpets! :D