playing w/ Minneapolis Pops

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by student trumpet, Jul 17, 2005.

1. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    Manny

I was just asked to play in the side by side with the Minneapolis Pops Orchestra how can I prepare for this?

Thank You

Tim

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tim,

Hey, that's wonderful! I'm happy for you because the pops repertoire is challenging but fun. It's challenging because you play for longer periods and fun because it's muic we all know.

If you're going to play music without the benefit of rehearsal, get some friends together and have a duet sight-reading party. If you do know what pieces you're playing, learn them as well as you can and don't be shy when you play the gig.

Have a great time. That's my best advice, have fun.

ML

3. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    sorry, but why does everyone else get offers to do gigs and is plenty talented, whereas I, with equally as much talent, get none?!

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Lazor,

Do you know Tim and his playing? I thought you were focusing on sax now.

ML

5. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    no I do not know his playing. and yes i am focusing on sax

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Lazor,

Maybe your question was in jest, then. Otherwise, how could you wonder why someone else was getting an opportunity without hearing his talent level?

My suggestion is to keep your eye out for solo and ensemble opportunities that may not necessarily be tied to school stuff. That way people that don't know you will get to meet you and hear you play. A lot of kids play sax and you need to display those skills that make you stand out in order to get noticed.

Again, if you were just kidding then, sorry, I misunderstood you.

ML

7. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    well my teacher just told me that I should start looking for gigs and stuff, places where you just have to lock into a pentatonic scale and easy stuff like that.
    hopefully he'll try to help me get some as well.

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Lazor,

For future reference, you might call up the MacPhail Center and ask about their summer program. My son has played in that and enjoyed it for the last three years. Bernie Edstrom also runs a jazz camp my son played in that is very good and you get to meet some quality people in both.

I don't know about the regular winter season but these are both places to start unless you might know of others. I'm sure your teacher would be a better guide because he knows your level.

ML

9. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    yeah
    i've done both of those camps, and some others.