Playing when Sick

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lakerjazz, Jun 3, 2010.

1. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I have a bacterial infection in the throat, and I'm wondering if it is okay to play. It'll take a while to recover fully, but I'm well enough to move around and do things (play the trumpet)- I just don't know if the bacteria goes into the trumpet and then comes back to bite when I recover. Any doctors or scientists out there that can shed some light on this?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I am not a doctor, but I believe once you have had so much antibiotic you are no longer contagious and therefore you could play without catching the infection again.

3. SteveMac

SteveMac New Friend

May 22, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Even if its safe to go ahead, I think now would be the time to give that horn a good bath.

4. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    I've had some antibiotic already, but I'll clean the horn also to be safe. Thanks for the responses guys

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes, you don't want your little brass friend to get sick, now do you? ;-)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are sick, you do what you have to to get better. We have a pencil exercize for our chops, we can study scores, listen to music, practice fingerings without the horn. I do NOT play unless I have gigs and have no other choice.

We are not doing ourselves a favor by moving energy away from the healing process. For infections in the breathing apparatus, we are not doing ourselves a favor by sucking the bacteria ever deeper. Depending on how sick that we are, it is questionable how concentrated our practice is and therefore how much "development" actually would take place.

7. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Thanks Rowuk, but my question was more along the lines of "will I create any future risk by playing when sick," because at this point, I will have to play. I just wanted to know if the idea of the bacteria that makes me sick sticking to the trumpet and coming back to bite me later on is a real threat. That way I can take any precaution to limit that possibility. On the otherhand, if it is not, it will give me some peace of mind. What can you say about this whole cyclical trumpet-playing sickness thing?

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Of course any unconcentrated practice helps to build bad habits. Your doctor can tell you if the strain of what YOU have is a problem. We, like with embouchure questions, can only guess if you playing too soon would cause something to go chronic.

The long term damage is getting out of the habit of taking care of yourself. We are not indestructable, generally keep our schedules too full and have NOT learned that we all need some time off to recharge our batteries. Getting sick is a warning shot from our bodies that something is wrong. We take medicine generally to speed up the healing process or damp the symptoms. The result is often that we have a weaker natural resistance to those things that can slow us down.

The only cyclical sickness thing about playing trumpet is the loss of perspective about our lives in general. If we have matured to the point where the trumpet has assumed the proper place in our lives, we will do the right thing.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If you chose to play your instrument - swab out the leadpipe with alcohol (cheap whiskey will do), pour boiling water over the MP, and give the whole shootin' match a bath sooner rather than later - it is unlikely that you will reinfect yourself from the trumpet if it is so cleaned.

10. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    How about indirect fumes? :-?