Playing with a flat chin

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SophiaPetrillosBuddy, Feb 27, 2013.

1. SophiaPetrillosBuddy

SophiaPetrillosBuddy New Friend

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Today, Dr. Lacey Powell came to work with our band, and he also helped with embouchure's. When he helped me, he told me to flatten my chin, and he held my chin down, which made my sound slightly better. Do any of you guys play with a flat chin? If so, can you guys give me some tips about it?

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I've never heard of playing with a flat chin, but I know all about playing with a fat chin...I don't think that makes me sound any better, though.

3. SophiaPetrillosBuddy

SophiaPetrillosBuddy New Friend

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Well, it's more so playing with the chin slightly pulled back, and flat as well. What is a fat chin embouchure?

4. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Probably referring to the Farkas embouchure. There's a WHOLE lotta stuff to see about that everywhere on the Internet. It's actually just one of many embouchures. IMO, one's not better than another. If you sound better doing it, then it likely is a good thing!

ed

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The flat chin helps with accuracy. Pedal tones, played in tune, are a low impact way to work the muscles involved.

6. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Is this akin to lowering your jaw when playing?

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's a bit like the Drill Sargeant's command of "Chin In" or a chin tuck, just a part of proper playing posture and very little effect on embouchure. No, it is not a roll of your head forward to lower your jaw.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    This has absolutely nothing to do with a flat chin. Nothing. Na-da. Zilch.

9. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    There is playing with a flat chin and there is playing with a tense chin. When I took lessons in HS from the local college teacher, he said to pull my chin down and tense it up. He used to tap my chin while I was playing to make sure it was hard. (I hated that.) The end result was that I bacame a very tense player.

The lips inside the MP have to be relaxed and supple (not stretched) to vibrate easily. If your pulling the chin flat increases tension, especially tension inside the MP, you're going in the wrong direction IMHO.

Flat = OK
    Flat because you are tensing up = Not OK

-John

bumblebee likes this.