Playing with a hearing aid

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, May 5, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I had a deaf student once. Lip reading kind of deaf, and we communicated by writing in her homework booklet. With her hearing aids she could hear anything over 80dB. She tried really hard and was happy when she got to play tunes, but her releases always fell off as they went below 80dB. She was a good student and I thought it very cool of her parents to let her experience making music.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I've seen a person take a picture with a wooden leg, but never seen anyone play a trumpet with a hearing aid.

Just lightening things up a bit. You're all welcome.

bumblebee likes this.
  3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
  4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I was already thinking of mentioning her, being possibly one of the most well known deaf musicians I believe. I didn't know before I read your link that Evelyn Glennie became deaf rather than being born deaf, which I suppose is why she speaks so clearly compared to many who have never heard another human voice.

--bumblebee

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have found that the harder it is to hear, the better an extremely light trumpet is. I had a student with hearing aids and switched them to a very light Calicchio trumpet. You can "feel" the intonation. A lightweight Bach modified with a tuning bell and no soundpost is similar. I imagine this could apply to many other "light" instruments. Maybe Ivan can chip in here.

Funny enough, the sound was NEVER ugly bright with those players

6. majdan

majdan New Friend

Dec 22, 2013
    Tigard, OR
    I lost a good deal of my high frequency hearing in Iraq. I use a pair of hear of hearing aids that I received from you, the American tax payer. They work great for listening but I can't wear them while playing. I got this strange bell like sound to my playing.I guess it has something to do with the vibration of my head. I find this most distracting and play with them out. My sense of seems to still be good but I don't hear the high frequency aspects of my timbre.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that's your wife -- and she is NOT really out of range --- so quit ignoring her and do what your told!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL --- the trombone is getting more difficult for me this last year or so, my hearing has declined by 50% in both ears (previously, it was only the right ear) according to last years audiogram, I will be getting another in 2 weeks (the report won't be so good, --- I know, but what are you going to do?)

I envision what hearing aids must sound like --- I have a pair of "hunting earmuffs" -- the ones that amplify sound, then CUT OUT when the decibel level is too high -------- I highly suggest you get a pair of them, or find a friend that has these ---- and try them out --- that might help your curiosity a bit

but, yes --- the music all sounds differently ---- I practice enough (I hope) so at least for now (on the trumpet) --- I can FEEL THE SOUND in my lips, lungs, and such --- so I can only imagine what comes out is good sound ------ that is what people tell me

((people tell me the trombone sounds great, but the lower sound seems a bit muffled lately --- I can't seem to FEEL the mpc as well with that))

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Well I now wear hearing aids. My first pair were in the canal aids which I liked because they did not cause problems with wezring a helmet when I ride. I could not play with them, very strange they worked great for everything except playing my horn. If I was practicing they were ok but my trumpet sounded tinny but when playing in an ensemble I heard everyone else fine but I couldn't hear myself. It was as if I was trying to play with foam ear plugs, very strange. I switched to behind the ear and they work great, they have 3 settings and one is adjusted for when I play. The newer aids have really advanced and are improving all the time. Glad that I have them. Still have the tinnitus though dern

9. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    I have been using hearing aids for over 20 years now due to high frequency loss (congenital).
    Best thing I ever did. I do use 'analogue" aids. This allows me to adjust the volume on my own as I need.
    My audiologist set me up with some "digital" aids but they did not do well with playing my horn with bands, orchestras, organs etc.
    With all kinds of adjusting the "noise" filtering mechanisms over months they still registered instrumental sounds as noise and kicked in as well as the "growling" feedback described in
    earlier posts. These digital aids are great in non musical settings. My audiologist was frustrated that the new aids did not fill my requirements and ended up giving them to me as well as a new set of analogue ones at no cost to me.

As for evaluating my own sound etc. I have adjusted my perceptions of the tone quality of my playing to match feedback from trusted colleagues (quintet, orchestra etc.) to confirm my own conclusions and to make me aware of any changes over time.

I also record myself and my group's concerts to evaluate as listening with hearing aids is different as a pure listener is different than while playing the instrument directly.

It is indeed wonderful to actually hear clearly and understand the conductor's instructions during rehearsals.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well if my conductor would just SPEAK UP a little, I am sure I could hear him ROFL ROFL ROFL