Playing with a hearing aid

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, May 5, 2014.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In concert, one should not hear the conductor, rather all the other musicians. A conductor's baton makes no sound.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well whatever he says - is apparently not that important anyhow --- and most of the time he is whining to the trombone section --- which for the vast majority of the season I am NOT there in that section ----- Mostly cause the trombone sucks, and the trumpet is so much easier for me ------- ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. majdan

majdan New Friend

Dec 22, 2013
    Tigard, OR
    I sure wish that my section leader would stop mumbling.

4. majdan

majdan New Friend

Dec 22, 2013
    Tigard, OR
    An interesting addition to my first post. I have found that when playing with a wind ensemble my hearing aids aren't nearly as mush of an issue as when I play by myself.

5. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    Playing with my hearing aids --> intermittent tinkles, whistling, howling, glass being scraped across concrete.
    Thank Heaven they have volume adjusters. I turn them down until I hear 3 tiny beeps, then I'm good.

Tinnitus; a high hissing sound in both ears since my teens when I worked in a wood shop making moldings on the big table saw and the shaper (stationary router) without ear protection, which was unknown in those days. There is no cure, just diversive tactics.

T/

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I wear one in my left ear - actually behind the ear with the in-the-ear speaker. Wearing it consistently reduces my tinnitus a lot. I think if I had one for the other ear the tinnitus would almost go away, but the VA says my right ear isn't bad enough for them to supply this veteran with another freebie.

For meetings it really helps me to hear folks talk. I can wear it for combo work and it helps me to hear others. For practicing it comes out - unless I am in a really big space it makes the trumpet too shrill. In church I wear it or I don't hear the MD well enough when she talks.

My aid is non-adjustable. But, fortunately, the real parts of me are.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I am reminded again of my tinnitus (thanks guys) but also of a day last year when down at Batemans Bay. A lovely Sunday spring day by the Clyde river, we were finishing lunch and I noticed that I couldn't hear any tinnitus. None at all - it was great, and I really couldn't work it out. It was back again before the end of the day but there were a few heavenly hours where all I could hear was all the sound around me. The tinnitus came back by the end of the day; I didn't notice when it sidled back in - and a few weeks later I was back in Batemans Bay and went back to that same spot at about the same time, but sadly the tinnitus was still there that time.

I can empathize with the main protagonist in Ray Bradbury's short story "The Murderer" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Murderer), and thinking about Ray Bradbury and the short spell of silence I had last year I remembered this other short story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Summer_in_a_Day

--bumblebee

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've never known a director / conductor that isn't heard loud and clear ... but only in rehearsal ... then you best listen or resign.

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Don't wear mine during the hot summer months as I sweat pretty badly around my head( thanks,Dad), and am afraid I'll short them out. Cooler weather and I start using them again..Mine are the digital type which means no volume controls. they came with rechargeable batteries and the charger. Those are now used up and replacement batteries are $50 a set,so, I'm on conventional batteries for the time being:dontknow::oops:

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I need hearing aids --- but haven't found any that don't cost me an arm and a leg (both sets I need) ---- since I work for a government municipality, they could help me get hearing aids at reduced cost ----- but so far they have refused to fill out the paperwork --------------------- oh well, 4 more years and I can leave this job anyhow.