Playing with a hearing aid

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bumblebee, May 5, 2014.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    I have ringing in my ears I asked the Doctor what should I do about the ringing in my ears he told me "don't answer it " .

ba da bing "Rodney Dangerfield

2. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    This has been my experience and the same with friends who play in the Nashville area. When practicing I take them out because they tend to feed back and distort no matter how low I have the volume. But this doesn't happen when I am playing gigs. Maybe this is because of the size of the room.

I had been becoming very frustrated with my playing. Having a lot of trouble playing in tune, matching the section, etc. I was amazed at how this improved with my hearing aids. I guess being able to hear yourself is a big deal.

3. Consordino

Consordino Pianissimo User

Mar 5, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    Tinnitus.....white noise in my ears as well. When I was a youngster, about 6 or 7, some kid taught me how to smash a roll of caps with a hammer! Very exciting. Unfortunately we were doing it in a covered carport at the time. When I was 10, during a Fourth of July celebration, I had two "black cats" go off in my R hand as I had them cocked by my R ear; at different times, of course. I knew better, but was smarting off with them. Now, I have the bells....the bells...the fire<alarum>cracker bells...the tin-tinnabulation of the bells.... a ringing in my ears all the day long! :-(

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have a very slight issue with tinitus - although I have not had it medically diagnosed. I find that it is intermittent and depends very much on how much stress I have in my jaw. If I push my lower jaw forward, the noise become much louder then when I relax the muscles in my jaw my ears no longer ring. I sometimes I have to do this exercise a couple of times for best effect. I don't wear hearing aids, but I do have selective hearing at home. I have worked all my career around large gas turbine engines but have been very conscious of the need for ear muffs - but the tension in the jaw seems to be my issue.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Every Monday evening at 7:00 PM they test the emergency siren here in Jackson and my wife has to plug her ears. I can affirm she can hear silent dog whistles and plugs her ears, but cannot hear the low 4 white keys on a piano. The crux is that audiologists adjust hearing aids for the average human voice range. It's been a pain for me to learn how to sleep on my back because when I lay on my side I pinch the O2 cannula feed I and it whistles an extremely high pitch squeal. The O2 feed tubes pass over my ears. FYI I can still practice while receiving O2 via cannula.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Jeez .... aren't we a bunch of Old Crocks?

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Guilty as charged,Ted.:roll::lol::oops:

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    If you play too much with your hearing aid your likely to have the battery fall out ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    More like go dead,KT. Those little suckers usually choose to quit at the worst times.:roll::lol::oops:

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    my batteries last about a week and your right they give that warning beep at exactly the wrong time