Playing with confidence.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by timothypierson, Jul 17, 2007.

1. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    This summer I'm playing the Music Man with a great pit orchestra. I'm playing 3rd and the other 2 trumpet players are from the Eugene Symphony and have studied with both. I have played professionally before but not with this many players of this caliber. The main problem I'm having is that I'm not playing out enough. The cause of this is that I don't want to stick out or hurt the balance of this group. I couldn't think of a more supportive trumpet section to play with. They did suggest that I play a little louder.

My question is, have any of you out there experienced being a little intimidated playing with seasonned pros for the first time and how did you overcome it? Let me reinterate that is nothing that the other players are doing, it is completely me and wanting to do a good job.

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    When you get good advice, take it. Play out. Never be afraid to make an honest mistake. Go for it. Those pros "Got your Back" :-)
    Wilmer

3. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    I find that when I play with seasoned pros I play better. Mainly because it is a lot easier playing with a group thats more in tune, and much tighter. Just think how much more fun it is to play with them than a not so good group. Of course I am a little scared of messing up but that just makes me play even better. Just have fun.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Try and get some one on one time with these players playing duets. If you learn to "hear" the resonance that 2 players can generate, it will be easier to judge your volume in the pro setting.
    Your fear of sticking out is not unique. The skill needed to support and blend is experience!

5. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    Just got back from dress rehearsal. I played with more confidence and it seemed to help fill out the section. There were a couple of single notes where I played too loud but I made a note of it and moved on. I've been studying with the lead player for 3 years so I have a pretty easy time blending with him. It went much better tonight. It's pretty fun watching these guys play growing up and getting to play in a group like this.

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I too used to lack confidence when playing with the "good" guys but found out that it is much easier to play with them then to play with the average or below average players. I ride the coat tails of the "good" guys and have to lead the others. The worst ones to play with are the below average player that thinks he is a top player. Dave

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Playing third can be a lot of fun! Feel free to think of yourself like a bass trombone player, following the lead for style, but laying down a foundation for the upper parts to rest on. Or you can think of yourself like a blocking back in football--it's that physical! Don't worry about being too loud, for your section leader or conductor will let you know. Have fun!