Playing with different embouchures causes damage?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Oct 16, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Does playing with different embouchures cause embouchure damage, or prevent you from playing on the trumpet at all? One of my embouchures is the prefered one: in the middl. My other one is with an overbite and on the bottom right side of my mouth. I've been playing both ways for some time now, and nothing seems wrong. It feels kind of funny when I switch too suddenly, though. And some time = nearly a month.

2. 4wdtrumpet

4wdtrumpet New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Melbourne, AU
    Dave Douglas plays with a solid embrochure and an effected embrouchure (out the side of his mouth) but they don't overlap... do they have different sounds? What's the purpose of each?

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Does playing with different embouchures cause embouchure damage, or prevent you from playing on the trumpet at all?
    ---------------------
    No, or at least, not for me.
    For a long time I played (and still to a certain extent) with two different embrochures. I have an embrochure for the normal range and when I play in the stratophere I'd use another embrochure (rolled in). Here's the downside to playing like this. If I wish to go from very high in the register down to the normal range, I have to stop somewhere, (usually around B above the staff) and adjust my lips. This means I have to cause a break in the flow of my playing. I use both embrochures well but after talking to rowuk, I'm working on using just one embrochure and it is working. I can go from really high in the register to normal and not have to stop and readjust.
    I do resort to the other embrochure (rolled in) when fatigue sets in but, that's just part of the learning process.
    I don't know how true it is but I've heard Arturo Sandoval uses two different embrochures, one for the stratospheric notes and one for the normal register.

4. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Well just choose your perfered one I can tell you that it doesn't do damage if you keep the same embrochue

5. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I do the same thing. I've always played to the side of my mouth but I've gradually been moving towards the center, but I still play to the side during jazz band. I don't really do it on purpose it just kind of goes there once we start playing. I think it gives it just a little bit more of a jazzy sound.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    My opinion:

Using two different embouchures won't hurt you physically, but may prevent you from achieving certain level of consistency, unless we are speaking about extreme high register specific "stuff" like those taught by NickD as low gear-high gear.

7. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I would say it would cause more confusion than damage. I've seen a few people maintain something like the High Gear/Low Gear thing, but I've never seen anyone intentionally move it side to side. If both play the same, pick one and go with it. If one is better than the other, use that one and forget the other. You'll never progress if you're always messing with the chops. Do the same thing for a few months, a couple hours a day, and see what happens. It'll be better than going both ways all the time.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    additional techniques just increase the amount of practice time necessary. Various embouchures increase time DRAMATICALLY.

Most players don't have enough time anyway (>4 hours/day), so why cripple the effort with the little time that we do spend?

As far as I am concerned, NickDs high gear low gear is reserved for the extremely dedicated and advanced player that woulf not ask this question in an open forum in the first place.

My take is to just get an adequate daily routine and let you embouchure naturally develop instead of messing your chops up by sliding things around.

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Although you don´t say this, some readers take
    it for granted that you use one embouchure for
    low-medium high notes and the other for the
    highest notes.

If this assumption is correct, then it still must be
    the most practical not to change embouchure.
    Being able to use your entire range from high to
    low must be an advantage, and many trumpeters
    can do exactly that.

If the assumption is not correct, what can possibly
    be the reason for having two embouchures?
    You don´t say anything about how you discovered
    that you can play in these two ways, and maybe
    you could even find a third and fourth way to play,
    but what would be the point?
    Doesn´t "Keep It Simple, Soldier" sound wiser?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    I can only pull one and a half hours during week days and 4 to 6 on week ends, but not every. How can I substitute lack of practice. I do spend a lot of time in the car so when in the car I listen to some Jazz and buzz my lips, but thats not enough