Playing with synthetic muscles after cancer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SeanP, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Lots of good advice here. What about reading Arnold Jacobs book "Wind And Song"? His method of air production was an inspiration for many players. I wish you well in health and trumpet playing.

2. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    It is not easy.
    My big problems now are breathing and my arm.

My tumor is in my upper right chest and has paralyzed my right arm completely. It also limits my chest expansion.
    It is hard to take in much air and the hard to flow it out.

I hold the horn and operate the valves with my left hand. Nothing technical but trying to keep as much chops as I can.
    Playing music helps me focus on the goal and I feel much better overall when I can play something.

I oftem carry my Wedge mouthpiece with me as a reminder of one reason I work through these treatments.

As long as I am still breathing, I am still in the game.

3. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    I hope you heal quickly and cudos to you for playing thru this tough time.

4. Plithos

Plithos Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2007
    Greece
    Be patient..

Man..
    i don't think that i'm in a position to suggest you something, but i want to let you know that you have my admiration...

From Greece...
    Be good and have trust to yourself..
    never let down..
    just :play: ... you never know... you know that already..

5. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Sean
    Tonight, when I went to the basement for session three of the day, I had a slight headache. It crossed my mind that I had done a couple of hours today and maybe I would take the night off. Then, I thought of your courage and opened the case. Thank you for the inspiration. God bless!
    Roy Griffin

6. SeanP

SeanP Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2007
    UK
    Hi Roy, thanks for your kind thoughts and words. Yours and others give me the encouragement to carry on and that it is not a waste of time. I love playing and really want to get it back in the best way I can. That's why I practice and am starting to book concerts - I have 2 lined up so far that shouldn't be too taxing (a Brahms Req and a Haydn Creation).

pipedope - I am truly humbled - I cannot imagine what you are going through and respect you so much for continuing to play despite the difficulties. I too carry a mouthpiece with me - I sometimes buzz on it in the chemo treatment room at the hospital - at first they thought I was mad, but they've got used to it now I suppose!! The older folk having treatment do not mind this "young thing" as they call me (I'm only 35) playing/buzzing and they even asked if I could bring in a trumpet and play them a tune!! I might... Hang on in there - you are still in the game!

Thanks again to everyone - you are all so encouraging and supportive.

Best wishes,

SeanP

7. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    Hi SeanP,

You have been through much bigger and more invasive procedures than I have.
    My surgeries were first the biopsy and the putting in my port-cath.

I think comparasons are less usel/helpful than our simply sharing our chalanges and how we cope.

A bit about my playing.
    Several months ago I felt compeled to do some music and trumpet research online. I found this forum, TrumpetHerald, TPIN, and others.
    I had to pick up the trumpet after about 20 years off. I bought a beater horn and started.
    Collecting books and working out a good daily routine I was getting it back fast and was on track to being better than ever by avoiding the bad habits of my youth without a teacher.

When the cancer popped up it was hard but I then knew that the trumpet and music is a big part of keeping me motivated. I have music to share and simply must do it one way or another.

Right now I can only try and keep my chops working and study and learn what I can but it is not wasted time. I am enjoying learning theory and application that I missed in years past.

We are all making our journeys through life, doing what we can and sharing when we will. At times we take comfort and others give comfort in the sharing. In the end it is the people we touch and who touch us that are important.

misty.sj likes this.