Playing with Zits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by student trumpet, Mar 14, 2005.

1. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    I am wondering what you guys do when you get a zit right where you put your mouthpeice. Do you tough it out or is there a frendlier method?
    Thanks
    ST

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you talking about a zit, or a pimple, because to me there is a big difference.

I can't recall ever getting an actual pimple on my chops, but I have gotten a zit or two right on the upper edge of my lip.

For what it's worth, I always just squeezed them and drove on, but I'm not sure I would do that with a pimple. Pimples are usually under pressure and are inflamed so if you were to try and squeeze that, you could make the problem worse.

For a pimple, I would probably try to dry it out with an astringent like rubbing alcohol or something on the market for that kind of thing (although I have always felt that rubbing alcohol works about as well as anything) and then I might hit it with some Oxy 5 or Oxy 10. And I probably wouldn't play on it for a day or so until the inflamation subsided.

Also, I'd clean and disinfect my mouthpieces, since the pimple was probably caused in part from bacteria on the mouthpiece.

3. student trumpet

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    I am talking about a good old fashion teenager Zit

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ok, is it red and swollen with a white head? That's a pimple, but sometimes refered to as a zit.

A "zit", or a blackhead is just a buildup of hardened oil called sebum and while it can put some pressure on the surrounding tissue, it has yet to become infected.

The second one you can squeeze. The first one you should leave alone.

Trust me. I'm 34 and still deal with acne, although thankfully it's mostly gone now.

5. student trumpet

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    trickg,

Thanks for the help I guess that I will leave it as is.

6. Robert Rowe

Robert Rowe Mezzo Piano User

Dec 24, 2004
    ... At first, I did a "double-take" (and then, re-checked the spelling in the post subject ... hope you're a guy, student trumpet).

In any case -- maybe, just lay-off for a couple days ... it really won't diminish your "chops" condition too much.

Regards,
    Robert Rowe