Playing without a left arm...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hardnut, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    I recently had the misfortune to fracture my left arm whilst skiing (i really don't want to go any further into this-let's just say I "fell on it"). It has made me realise the extent to which i relied on my left arm-i find it difficult to reach the higher notes now. In the long run, I think this will be advantageous-if I can wean myself off having to use a strong left arm I feel I will emerge a better player. However, does anyone have any ideas how I should practice now-and how to maximise my practice time?

Many thanks,

Chris

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I believe the system is called the "Shulman System". It consists of a rather medieval looking bit of torture gear but is apparently the cat's whiskers at teaching low pressure playing. The secondary benefit is that it apparently does a more than adquate job of holding up the horn so you don't have to!

Lots 'o' links on the internet and I'm sure someone will pop in to tell you how it added two octaves to their range AND got more than 45 miles to the gallon!

3. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
  4. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Chris,

What a bummer! Yes... Shulman System!

So, you "fell on it"?... as in:

1) Yard sale - Definition: hat, gloves, goggles, poles, etc., strewn all over the hill. Rating system: based upon area covered by the above, compounded by "air time", total distance of the "fall", and seriousness of the fall... broken arm? Yep... 10! :-o *Note - 1 - point reduction for being taken down the mountain by the ski patrol, on the tobaggan.

2) Please say that it didn't happen in the "coral" getting to the lift. :oops:

3) No... not getting on, or off, the lift. :roll:

4) Fell off your bar stool at the bar? :bleah:

Okay, now you know what ski instructors are talking about when riding the lift, or recanting those "special moments" to their fellow instructors, in the pro room, at the end of the day. :cool:

Inquiring minds need to know!

Seriously, get better soon!

Bruce

5. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    It was a kinda jump...and I tried it in the Schluss (if thats how it spellt) position and landed in the spread eagle type position, and I didn't even get taken down the mountain on a toboggan-I had to ski all the way to hospital :S

Shulman system looks like the perfect solution-thanks guys.

I did actually fall off a chair lift but that's a whole other story...

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    You haven't lived unless you were a beginner "back when" safety straps were the rule. Imagine this: two rank beginners getting on a chairlift. Tangled skis as the chair "lifts off" resulting in four skis hanging from four legs by their safety straps as the chair rumbles it's merry way up the hill.... for all to see and comment on.

What to do... what to do.

Manage to get the skis back on the feet in time ..... raise the safety bar and shoot down the offramp..... straight into a vertical wall of snow (failing miserably to turn OR stop).

Four more heel releases with skis stuck firmly into vertical wall and faces planted most solidly into very cold snow.

Ahhh, them were the days! (and embarrasment). Glad nobody had a camera close that day.

7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
  8. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    Woah! That's incredible!

How did he "blow his cheek out?" It may just be my inexpertise at a computer, but I find it difficult to navigate around that site; I don't understand exactly why he has to play like that all the time.

Thanks,

Chris.