Playing without caution

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Anonymous, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Hi Manny-

My biggest problem in my playing is that I habitually play with caution b/c I'm trying to get everything perfect, which causes me to play out of the center of the horn. When I give myself permission to fail and just lay it all out there it sounds great and all of my problems go away.

Is there a good way of erasing the caution from playing? I just keep reminding myself with whatever I play.

Thanks!

2. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    I know you are looking for a response from Manny, but I thought you might not mind one little comment... it seems like if everything sounds great and all your problems go away when you stop worrying. So just stop worrying. You are reminding yourself right now not to worry, but eventually you will get over it I think and just stop having to remind yourself. I wish it were that easy for me! If all I had to do was just stop stressing out over the music, and everything would sound amazing, I would be a happy trumpet player.

Good Luck,
    Joshua Sullins

3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Peabody,

Sorry to jump in before Manny, but I’ll forget to check in again if I don’t post this now.

There is an important concept from the Kenny Werner book (Effortless Mastery) called The Learning Diamond. Draw a diamond and label each of the points with the following: 1) Play Effortlessly, 2) Play Fast, 3) Play Perfectly, and 4) Play the Entire Example.

His whole book is about effortless mastery (the state where learning can most easily take place) so he says you must practice everything from this effortless "space". With that in mind you can play two other aspects of The Learning Diamond at one time, but not all three. So you must choose how you want to practice.

If you want to play the example perfectly, this would mean that to play the whole example you cannot play it fast. That’s the advice that is most common and really makes the most sense. But you can explore other parts of The Learning Diamond too.

Play effortlessly, Play Fast, and Play Perfectly. To do this you can’t play the entire example, but the small pieces that you do play will be great.

Play effortlessly, Play Fast, and Play the Entire Example. You must accept mistakes if you choose this approach. This essentially throws some abandon into your playing and pushes the limits. Good to go here occasionally, but most of your practice should be spent in the other areas of the diamond.

Hope this helps!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    A very interesting concept. I just have one thought about the final part of it. If you practice all of these points, wouldn't they all get better together? If you strive to play effortlessly, perfectly, fast, and entirely, wouldn't you be getting better at all of these things? Is that not what the great players do by pushing their limits?

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA

6. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    There's a great article by Karl Sievers called "The Trap of Pursueing Correctness." That should help you out a lot! You can find it on the net, it's from the OU trumpet studio homepage.

Good luck!

7. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    Yes, Alex. My point exactly.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I guess you guys are right. Sorry for the round-about post.

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    No need for apologies there Peabody. Sometimes hashing it out like this reveals the answers you need. This forum is a sounding board to get out of your head sometimes. You know, stepping back and putting on a wider lense so to speak. When you are too close to a problem, your brain can begin to spin. The process demonstrated in this thread chipped away at the clutter of your worries and showed how you can find the answers yourself with some contemplation. Simply clipping away your words until only the core of your worries were expressed actually clarified it for you and revealed the answer. So you see, you have the knowledge within you. ;-)

10. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Alex is absolutely right! Just the very act of participating in a forum such as this leads to a different way of thinking about all the aspects of trumpet playing.

I guess we can thank Benjamin Bloom for knowing why that works so well for us. :lol: