PlayLite Trumpets (another plastic company)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by tbloska, Nov 25, 2016.

1. tbloska

tbloska New Friend

Nov 25, 2016
    Hello everyone.

First post, long time lurker. I have been looking and purchasing plastic trumpets and trombones for the school I work at (I'm a trombone and euph kinda guy). I had a pBone and think it was great (value wise) but I have come across PlayLite brand and I am struggling to find any reliable information. I searched her and couldn't find any info on them

Gear4music | Shop Music Equipment & Musical Instruments

They are cheap, and the bones have a trigger! They also have euphs and Tubas. I guess my main concern is that they are too good to be true (30£ cheaper then the other brands)

They would be used in a Special Ed setting (light for students with physical issues, cheap enough that if someone with behavioural issues throws it my budget wont be too worse off) so I am not too concerned with quality of sound - and we have a few trad. brass instruments kicking around that players can graduate to if they enjoy playing enough.

If no ones used them yet I guess I'll bite the bullet and order one to test (and let you folks know!)

Tristan

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
  3. tbloska

tbloska New Friend

Nov 25, 2016
    Thanks Mike!

That was my thought at first, but the Trombones look different in design to the Tiger ones. I have just emailed the company to ask, I guess I'll play the waiting game. Ill post my findings when I hear back.

4. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Well I just did the unthinkable and purchased a PlayLite from Gear4Music. £40 plus a bit for postage. Extremely fast delivery, seems like they can't get these things away from them fast enough, hehe.
    So here's some photos for those of you who are curious:
    20170518_102006.jpg 20170518_102013.jpg 20170518_102018.jpg 20170518_102040.jpg 20170518_102115.jpg

I tried using photobucket, but it doesn't seem to be working, so I hope you can see these.
    The valves are all identical, cutting production costs, the plastic is about as shoddy as you could get away with and still be able to sell (joints with overlap/different diameters). I can't play it at the moment, because I just had my tonsils out and it is excruciating to even swallow. But perhaps it would be excruciating to listen to as well, who knows ;-)

5. BeatupGetzen

BeatupGetzen Pianissimo User

Jan 20, 2017
    Canada
    Is that open sided port a new thing? Seems like a bad idea to me. Cylinder wear won't just disrupt the opening and closing moment but provide turbulence that entire length...

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The one-valve Bb Kanstul bugles that were custom made for the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corp had open sided ports in the valves. By doing it that way, Kanstul was able to create a valve that was about 2/3rds the length of a standard trumpet valve and made for a better fit for that bugle. From what I remember, I never had issues with the the valve on my bugle. Then again, I've rarely had any valve issues ever - not from typical wear anyway.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    What's that small part with "PLAY" stamped on it? Looks like part of the receiver that broke off...

8. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    Dale, yes you're right, it was the mouthpiece receiver that had snapped off. I just superglued it back on and put a length of clear hose around the join to make it sturdy. Plays ok. Not too badly out of tune, I would start a beginner on it, at least.

9. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Rotary valves are all open-sided, are they not? Doesn't seem to do them any harm.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is nothing wrong with the sides being open other than direct contamination of the cylinder wall. Turbulence is not an issue in trumpets. The air is not moving fast enough. Constriction can affect how the standing wave behaves however. I consider that to be a design parameter, not a problem. Ivan has often talked about the valve block being the soul of the instrument.

M. A. Wilk LLC - Home Page