Please Critique Me!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jazzy816, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Descending slurs can be tough, slippery and dangerous if we simply relax. Listen to Doc Severinsen play them--he attacks (attitude, not articulation) the bottom note much like a gymnast or ice skater "sticks the landing."

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    So, what did I hear?
    No breath support. None of the notes "resonate" or sound solid because the foundation is like Jello. It has nothing to do with fast or slow.

When we bend our air to get the notes, very amusical things happen. Intonation, rhythm, tone all suffer when we are "impatient".

If this was a first lesson, I would start with very soft long tones and lip slurs and work until each tone had the density and geometric shape of a pipe organ without the Vox Humana. Stability would be a primary goal.

Approaching music needs some basic modules of sound production. These patterns are stored at an extremely low tempo in perfection. It takes time and patience to build the collection of individual skills that in there sum result in wonderful music.

It is not embouchure, it probably is caused by weak body use (unstable standing or seated) as well as air being held back while playing. Perhaps the trumpet gets wagged like a dogs tail while playing?

It is not a catastrophe, but a much better daily routine and attention to building centered tone is needed.

3. Jazzy816

Jazzy816 Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2013
    USA
    This is what I was looking for! Thanks rowuk.

4. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    It sounds good for me, strange mixture between Maynard Ferguson and classical music. An instrument is hard to record properly.
    It's too short, I think nobody can do better with the microphone you used.